Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving large jointers

Moving large jointers

Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing a large jointer that will weigh in at about 2500 lbs. I should be able to get help loading it as a fork lift will be on hand, but how are machines like this removed from a trailer without damaging them? Are engine hoists generally strong enough for that kind of load? What would you suggest for temporarily moving it around the shop while figuring out where it will stay? This jointer is on legs, not a frame.

Thanks, Dan

Typical engine hoists are not rated for that high a load. You can rent a forklift or crane. Or move it with a truck that has a HD lift gate.

Make a mobile base for moving it around in the shop.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I haven't moved a 2500 lb jointer, but when I picked up an 1100lb one I used a drop deck trailer. They forked it on, then together with 4 other people; I used a pallet jack to get it off a trailer and together with some plywood, levers, and the pallet jack moved it into a walkout basement over about 100' of lawn.

Model of jointer? 2500lbs is either a 24-30" machine or a slight exaggeration, but congrats either way! My 500mm machine is 1600ish pounds, i think, and i moved it pretty easily on a standard pallet jack. It was on a uhaul rental trailer. If you have one of the older Porter/Northfield/Oliver machines then you need to get a little creative with cribbing and a pallet jack to move them. Another route is to bolt the machine to a pallet/base if the forklift is able to lift it up the first time. Include some photos, who doesnt like to look at large jointers?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Typical engine hoists are not rated for that high a load. You can rent a forklift or crane. Or move it with a truck that has a HD lift gate.

Make a mobile base for moving it around in the shop.
    Most engine hoists ive seen are 2ton/4000lb.

Level ground is a must though.

This one was 2300ish. My 2ton hoist lifted it up off the trailer, but the driveway was too sloped to make it work without fear of it all buckling when the cg swung out away from the legs
    1122191750.jpg
    1122191813.jpg
    1122191820.jpg

IMG_20191122_224215_833.jpg

The problem with the engine hoist is it is only rated for 2tons when set at it's shortest length. At full extension, which is what you may need to get it off a trailer is only rated for 1/2 ton.

Which is why I ended up getting a gantry with a chain hoist to unload most of my heavier tools, specifically the 1500lb 1920's 16" jointer. Once on the ground I used a pallet jack. It was a one man operation.

As others have mention in previous posts a tow truck with a rollback is also an option.

Hire a roll back wrecker to bring it to your shop. 2,500 pounds can kill or at a minimum, damage your back for the rest of your life. I moved a lot of cast iron when I was younger, did a lot of stupid stuff. Take my advice and it will be money well spent.

A pallet jack is about $100 used. 4,000-5,000 pound capacity. Can they strap it to a pallet you provide? I would make the pallet long and deep so it does not tip. maybe as simple as two 4x4's running the long way with notches for the forks. Leave it bolted to the pallet in the shop.
    With a pallet jack or using pallet as a sled easy to take off a tilt trailer.
    Bil lD

I have moved a number of very large Woodworking machines over the last 5 years give or take. But I have not moved a old style jointer on legs. I have move a small 6” Yates jointer on legs but that's not what we are talking about.

I do feel I have figured enough out moving machines at this point to offer a couple suggestions.

First a pallet jack is the only way I’d move it for a number of reasons. I guess if I was dexterous with a fork truck or bobcat with forks I’d be ok with that also.

Second it needs to be on a pallet with a piece of 3/4 plywood screwed to it. I’d then screw large blocking around the feet capturing so it can not slide. This will keep it from tipping so I would then throw a heavy duty strap over the outfeed table and a separate strap over the infeed table. That should secure it and moving it with a pallet jack or whatever should be pretty darn easy. If you are traveling up or down hil just keep the pallet jack barely off the ground so you can lower quickly without jerking it all over the place in the even you feel things going sideways.

Other than that enjoy the new toy. Jointers have to be my favorite of all Woodworking machine. Then shapers then saws but jointers just have soul to me for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    A pallet jack is about $100 used. 4,000-5,000 pound capacity. Can they strap it to a pallet you provide? I would make the pallet long and deep so it does not tip. maybe as simple as two 4x4's running the long way with notches for the forks. Leave it bolted to the pallet in the shop.
    With a pallet jack or using pallet as a sled easy to take off a tilt trailer.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hahr View Post
    Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing a large jointer that will weigh in at about 2500 lbs. I should be able to get help loading it as a fork lift will be on hand, but how are machines like this removed from a trailer without damaging them? Are engine hoists generally strong enough for that kind of load? What would you suggest for temporarily moving it around the shop while figuring out where it will stay? This jointer is on legs, not a frame.

Thanks, Dan
    An engine hoist will not be strong enough. You need either a rolling transom, or gantry lift, a fork lift, or the trailer will need to be backed under an overhead lift.
    To be brutally honest, hire this out. If you do not have any of the lifting and rigging equipment already in your garage, you're looking $1200 to $1500.00 in equipment purchases just to get it off the trailer, and that's cheap HF level equipment, or you're looking at renting a fork lift
    I've, seen and moved, a lot of big pieces of metal in my career. Sometimes it's just better to hire someone that is insured, that already has the correct equipment.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I used a chain hoist mounted to the main header of my shop door.
    I lifted the my jointer up off the trailer then drove out the trailer.
    I have a 1900 # jointer.
    Chain hoist are pretty handy.

Good Luck
    Aj

Lots of ways to do this.
    Do you have any photos of the jointer and trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hahr View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks, Dan

Hire a professional rigging crew. I had never heard of this before purchasing a very large jointer/planer machine last year. My driveway slopes up from the street with a maximum slope of 25%. I have no equipment and no experience with forklifts or cranes and so was not willing to experiment. I got several estimates before finally settling on one local company. They were fantastic and having moved lots of very heavy high-precision equipment they knew exactly what they were doing. They got the machine off the pallet once it was in my garage and helped me assemble the mobile base. Expensive but worth it.

You may want to design the pallet so it can be cut down into a permanent stand. It does not need to be so big once inside on a level floor a pallet jack is safer with no angles or slopes.
    Many folks like to move their machines up a few inches for comfort and less back bending over pain. Kind of depends on your height and I find many older machines made lower down then today's stuff.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    An engine hoist will not be strong enough. You need either a rolling transom, or gantry lift, a fork lift, or the trailer will need to be backed under an overhead lift.
    To be brutally honest, hire this out. If you do not have any of the lifting and rigging equipment already in your garage, you're looking $1200 to $1500.00 in equipment purchases just to get it off the trailer, and that's cheap HF level equipment, or you're looking at renting a fork lift
    I've, seen and moved, a lot of big pieces of metal in my career. Sometimes it's just better to hire someone that is insured, that already has the correct equipment.
    Not disagreeing that hiring it is easier and safer, but if you browse owwm you will see more than a few jointers hanging off engine hoists in "moving day" posts. I know for a fact that one of the two members here that owned my newman before me loaded and unloaded it with a engine lift.