Thread: Connecting Dust Collection Components

Question Connecting Dust Collection Components

I was running entirely flex hose to three machines (jointer/planer, table saw and band saw), I am switching to mostly (4") metal ducting and using small runs of flex hose between that and the dust collector and the three machines. My question is about connecting the flex hose to the metal ducting, I am using those connectors that are about 6" long and crimped at both ends. The first one I used self-tapping screws (1/2" the shortest I could find) to secure a connector the the metal ducting at each end, now I have these screws sticking out almost half an inch into my ducting for the jointer, not sure if that is really a problem or if the little that it does restrict air flow is too small to worry about. For the other two pieces of ducting, they are not connected to flex hose yet, I just hammered a connector into each end of the other two pieces, they are in there really snugly, is this enough? Is there any reason to fix the connectors to the inside of the ducting using some sort of fasteners/adhesive? I also wrap that aluminum tape around the end of the ducting and onto the connector pieces.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I find that the easiest method is to buy a crimper for about $30 and crimp all your pipe.

You won't have an issue with the screws sticking into the airflow.

That said 4" is pretty small for dust collection.............Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Have to looked at Fernco products?

Yep, if you're going to do metal ducting, get yourself a crimper, a cutter, a proper sized drill bit and lots of screws. Throw some metal ducting tape and silicone in there too. Youll use it all!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Another vote for a crimper. It's possible to force it, but BOY is it hard work.

The large cans of Pineapple juice make a good 4" pipe or hose connector. Cost about the same as a proper connector and include about 1/2 gallon of juice for free. My wife does not like it when I start to measure the can diameters in the store.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    crimper is cheap and works. I made one when I really needed it, but a good one is great. Makes it easy to fit things together. (still use screws where needed.)
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

If I can get a tight fit between the pieces I just use tape (the metal kind specifically made for ductwork) to seal the joints, no screws. If the pieces are a little loose and want to sag, then I will put screws to shore up the joint, followed by tape.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

For what it's worth, this is very funny.

I ran 5 inch metal snap lock pipe to my table saw and then put on a reducer to 4 inch. I have about a foot of 4 inch going to my table saw outlet. The 4 inch fit pretty well over the male 4 inch part of the adapter. Presumably it is made to fit inside 4 inch metal pipe. I've also noticed they sell connectors for metal pipe to use when you need to connect ends that are not crimped. You might be able to just put one of them in the end of the pipe, fasten it in place, and then slide the hose over it.