Thread: Groove on curved drawers

Groove on curved drawers

I am cutting a 1/4 inch groove on the back of a serpentine drawer to receive the bottom. I used a router plane on the convex part and was able to cut a 1/4 inch deep groove on 75% of it. The concave center did not allow the flat soled router to work so I scored some lines with a marking gauge and finished the groove with a 1/4 inch chisel. Looking into a tool that might do the whole job, I noted the LN beading tool ( stanley 66 ) has a 1/4 inch router attachment - how convenient - alas, it has a flat sole so the concave area would give it problems. Lee Valley has a rounded sole beading tool which may handle the concavity but no routing attachment. I know the scraper irons would probably work, but the idea of a routing iron on a rounded beading tool is interesting. Thoughts?;
    Last edited by Mark Rainey; 12-03-2019 at 9:29 AM.

If the curved drawers start out as a flat board, plough the groove at this stage. Then create the curve and deepen the groove, if necessary.

If you are starting out with a curved drawer front, score the groove lines with a cutting gauge(s), and then remove with a chisel and a router plane. I did this here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...heDrawers.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

If you have a 1/4 inch chisel, you could perhaps make your own concave grooving tool, kind of like a marking gauge with a rounded stem but using the chisel in place of the pin. Pound the chisel through an undersized hole in the stem, set the depth with hammer taps, set the fence, and cut the groove.

Best regards,
    Michael Bulatowicz

Is it possible to make an auxiliary sole for your router plane? I have never done this but wondered why mine has two screw holes in the sole.