Thread: Searching for a reliable fiber laser

Searching for a reliable fiber laser

I am adding a fiber laser to my shop for engraving jewelry and firearms. Has anyone had any experience with CamFive or any other reliable brand, and yes Chinese machines are fine.
    I am curious also if a 30 watt machine is powerful enough to engrave hardened firearms or do I need to go up to a 50 watt.
    You guys, and gals, have always been helpful to me and I appreciate all your suggestions.
    Thanks
    Jamieson LG-640 - 60 watt
    Hurricane Floyd - 60 watt
    MK Diamond 370EXP
    Corel X5
    Graphtec CE5000-60

I'm out of touch with who sells decent fiber lasers now so I'll let others speak to that. As for firearm engraving 30 watts is plenty. 50 would more than likely get the job done a bit quicker but I'm not sure by how much and if it's worth the expense. I have done hundreds of firearms over the years and laser time was never really an issue with my two 30 watt machines. Although my machines have stood up well I will never spend another dime on anything G Weike due to the extremely poor handling of three improperly configure machines that I bought in a group buy. Their mistake in neglecting to build the machines as ordered with a power Z axis cost the three of us lots of time and a few hundred $ to cover import fees, etc. to send the power Z to us. So I can't tell you who I would buy from but I can tell you who I won't!
    I have done so much with so little for so long, that I can do almost anything with practically nothing...

Trotec Speedy 400 80 watt 8/2015
    G. Weike LF-30, 30 watt galvo fiber - 1/2016
    G. Weike LF-30, 30 watt galvo fiber - 3/2015
    Fargo HDP5000 Card printer

Quote Originally Posted by Don Young View Post
    I am adding a fiber laser to my shop for engraving jewelry and firearms. Has anyone had any experience with CamFive or any other reliable brand, and yes Chinese machines are fine.
    I am curious also if a 30 watt machine is powerful enough to engrave hardened firearms or do I need to go up to a 50 watt.
    You guys, and gals, have always been helpful to me and I appreciate all your suggestions.
    Thanks
    I've been very happy with the performance of our Radian that we have. It's a 3D MOPA machine, so has quite a few capabilities. They are ultimately a Chinese import that has been manufactured for a US seller that provides support here. Tom, their CEO is a great guy and has always treated us well.
    CamFive CFL-CMA 4032K - 100 Watt
    Boss Laser LS-3655 - 100 Watt
    APLazer SN1812 - 40 Watt
    Radian RL-GT3-F30J JPT 30 Watt 3D MOPA Fiber

My el-cheapo ebay machines have worked great for real close to a year now, made me a lot of money. My 'name brand' Triumph has worked great for almost 4 years now, save for a glitch where the engraving went stupid. I fiddled with all the connections inside the machine and all seemed well afterward, but Triumph replaced the scanhead on warranty anyway, no troubles since. (to this day I'm not sure if the scanhead was the problem)

As to needing lots of power for engraving, a "smaller" lens can help. I have 220's, 150's, and one 72, which is really aggressive. Only catch is the 2.2" working area, but AR info is usually within 1-1/4" so 2.2" is plenty. I've never had a 100-ish lens but I want one just to see how well it works for machining. Lately the bulk of my fibering is labeling or marking anodized, SS (anneal), delrin and polycarb, all of which could be done with 10 or 15 watts.
    I engrave gun barrels with a 220, which seems counter-productive but they turn out nice

Galvo fibers, these things only have 2 moving parts, the rest is all cheap to replace electronics. I could likely replace an entire machine for the price of a 2 year service agreement on a mid 5-figure machine-- and then there's the issue of the mid 5-figures!

Boaters who want a "reliable" boat buy boats with at least 2 power plants. With fiber's so inexpensive, if reliability is a concern, it makes sense to just buy 2 of the things! You'll have WAY more flexibility, and if one quits working, you can still get back home... eerr, I mean you can still get the work out

--flexibility and 'getting the work out' is why I have 19 machines
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle