Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hawk and chicken

We have so many foxes that we can't let ours out at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    We have so many foxes that we can't let ours out at all.
    When we raised chickens (they left when my son went to college, and my wife switched the on farm menu to all-vegetarian), it was raccoons. We lost on occassional bird to a fox, but if you didn't have the chickens, ducks and geese locked in at nightfall and until full dawn, the 'coons ravaged them. And the lock-up better be good. A raccoon will intelligently disassemble any makeshift or vulnerable enclosure, whereas a fox pretty much requires the door to be open in order to dine.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    One of my favorite chickens was attacked by a red-tailed hawk today. I heard the commotion and ran up the hill and chased the hawk away.

JKJ
    Watched this play out in our front yard five feet from the big picture windows that overlook our farm some years ago. Red-tail stooped onto a massive red rooster, got his talons into the birds back and tried to take off. Too much rooster for the hawk, so 30 seconds of the chicken struggling and the hawk trying to disengage his talons. Then 30 seconds more of the rooster giving as good as he got before I opened the door and the hawk took off.

The rooster fathered many more chicks before a much bigger "bird" of prey may chicken soup of him.

I so miss home-made chicken noodle soup. Most of the rest of what having a vegetarian head of household takes off the menu, I can take, leave, or get in an occassional dining out. There is no replacement for home made chicken noodle soup made from old chickens with home made noodles.