Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

2 Dec 2019

Greetings,
    I hope each of you had a good Thanksgiving holiday with family and friends. I spent the week oncall duty and work most of Wednesday night, Thursday, and Thursday night. The good thing is that I come off oncall duty in just over 9 hours from now. I did manage to get some shop time in and I and struggling with getting more projects finished in time for customer orders. The dining table project is stalled until I get the boards jointed and ready to glue together to make the top. I've also decided to use biscuits for alignment and loose tenons for added strength between the boards. This top is 1.5" thick and all White Oak. I'm estimating this top to weigh in around 375 pounds when finished. I'm still working on getting everything settled in for my Shapeoko CNC router that I've recently added to my shop. I am hoping to put it to work this coming week. Back to the day job tomorrow.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, enjoy your coming week while you're not on-call. I'm anxious for you to get your CNC going and let us know how you like it.

As for me, we spent more time cleaning out MIL's home to prepare to list it. It feels like a never ending job with 60 years accumulation! I did score a fairly nice receiver and a pair of Mission speakers for my workshop in the process. Minimal shop time, but I did whip together a cabinet to house the stereo. Also built 2 cabinet doors, one for my new cabinet and one for my husband's workshop that has been needed for over a year. Both will have Plexiglass inserts.

I made a bird feeder, I joke that it's the "Honest Honey, if you let me buy this saw/shaper I can build you a bird feeder".

I also roughed out 3 salt/pepper mill sets.................Regards, Rod.

Bird feeder.jpgPepper Mills.jpg

Cut up some maple on the band saw to dry for use next year.
    Maple rough cut short - 1.jpgMaple rough cut - 1.jpg

Blog Entries
    - I bought a 2nd (used) band saw (Shop Smith 505641, $40 paid.. runs, but will need some fine tuning to become a useful contributor)

- continued to work on repairing the (very old) Grizzly 1023 table saw

- turned the storage area of the barn into a space that can hold both the kids' bikes and basketballs as well as shop lumber

- cleaned/organized shop while I wait for table saw parts to arrive
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

'Glad you are coming off "on call" Dennis and can get some relief from that particular rat-race.

This past week I did some work on some holiday orders for CNC boxes and got my latest guitar build through final clear coating. I also got guitar body number two that was physically damaged, refinished with the burst and the first of the clear coats with many more to go as well as cut a few odds and ends for a client in what was a relatively "short week in the shop". I did a lot of cooking an baking as we had our regular Thanksgiving meal at home Wednesday night as it was the only time when both girls were not working (the younger helps run a local restaurant and worked a double for the holiday...good money day) and then another lighter meal on Thursday when a "new relative" joined us later in the day. (he's a single dad who's son came from an egg donation by my niece...so the kiddo is my "grand nephew") Lazied out on Friday, Saturday and Sunday albeit did some design work for some projects I'm considering.

This week I have to complete the boxes so they are off my plate before some brief travel to check on my 89 yo kid-slash-mom and create a few gifts for some family members and friends.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Unfortunately, I had very little shop time. I spent most of the day Wed, and Thur morning, and all day Friday helping my SIL put in 1500 sf of plastic laminate flooring in my grand daughters new house. The pain in my back and my knees is exquisite. Never again - way to old for that crap. And the folks that design the joints in this type of flooring have to be mentally defective in some way. It NEVER goes together as easily as they say. Spent all day Sat recovering on the heating pad and in the steamer. But on Sun I did manage to put 4 coats of wipe on poly on a couple of walnut plant stand I'm making for TLOML, so not a total waste.

And had the pleasure of a creeker stopping by the shop early Fri morning to pick up a tool I sold him. Always nice to meet the folks you talk to here.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

The one major thing I got accomplished last week in my shop was building a large circle cutting jig for my router. I put a Starrett adhesive backed tape measure on it. I can use my router to cut circles with a radius of 12-48". My wife wants a new dining room table in the coming year. I plan on building a "butterfly extension" table and then chairs. I am currently working on an end table with a curved drawer front and top and will use the same jig to cut the drawer front and two piece top.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

We weren't hosting Thanksgiving this year so no extra cleaning, cooking, etc. Plus my wife was away for the weekend so I managed a fair amount of time in the shop.

First dry fit on the mantel columns went smoothly; one rail was a bit out of square and a couple of panels a little too snug for their unfinished state.

IMG_0780a.jpg

After correcting those issues I started prefinishing the panels and the inside edges of the rails and stiles. I'll finish the outsides after glue up and final flushing of the joints. I did sample boards of blonde, orange, ruby and garnet shellac and settled on the garnet. Rails and stiles are ready for glue up; the panels need a few more coats padded on. While waiting for shellac to dry I'm working on gluing up the middle shelf and top of the mantel proper. I didn't have enough cambered cauls for gluing up 12' boards, and the ones I had were fairly long and unwieldy, so I made 6 pairs of 16" long ones. I also machined all the little blocks that will be needed to mount the mantle to the brick wall and the columns. I have to assemble in place like a large built-in, and I don't want any visible fasteners, so I had to get creative with mounting technique. A lot to do yet if this is to be finished and installed by Christmas.

I didn't manage to get to my current build this weekend as my Black Friday purchase took over. This and selling the machine it replaced (well that went really fast as I sold it cheaply on Gumtree, which is the local equivalent to Craig's List). The Black Friday purchase? A Nova Voyager drill press.

I've been looking at one of these for a while now, and just could not justify the expense. But it's amazing how I (we?) can justify such purchases in the right circumstances In my case it has been 80 hour weeks in my practice, with late nights meeting deadlines for the endless psych reports that everyone wants yesterday. Emotionally exhausted and treating myself with retail therapy. Doctor, heal thyself! Who else does this?

I have yet to plug it in.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Doctor, heal thyself! Who else does this?
    And as you likely know as a professional...that's truly important, even if it doesn't involve retail therapy! The extent and exquisiteness of your woodworking pays estimate to just how much stress you are relieving with the "sport". . Congrats on the new DP...if I ever replaced mine, that's exactly what I'd be eyeing to acquire.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great form of therapy Derek! That sweet DP is on my wish list too and I was tempted by the recent sales, but it will have to wait until the toy--ahem--tool budget recovers.

Thanks Jim. Thanks Paul. I am feeling much better now ...

Regards from Perth

Derek