Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need workshop upper cabinet ideas

I made a pair adapted from a Fine Woodworking article. I don't recall the issue, but could probably find it if you are interested. Here are pictures of what I built:
    workshop cabinets 3.jpgworkshop cabinets 1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Norm from New Yankee Woodworker did a bunch of uppers with dividers of 1/4 plywood to create long narrow spaces for tools. Ron Paulk does something similar in his work trailers. You can find some of Norm's stuff on youtube but I haven't see the cubbies. There are lots of Ron Paulk youtubes, however, plus he sells plans.

I prefer "build on the fly" versus plans. My usual method is to determine the amount of space available and the number of cabinets that would best fit the area. Except for a couple "special situation" ones, my usual is 23.5 wide by 23.25" deep. That makes great use of sheet goods. I build frameless with pocket screws and drilled for euro system. For lower cabinets, I build them 30" high without a toe kick and then mount them sitting on a frame of 2 x 4 that creates the toe kick area. It is quick, easy and cheap and produces a 35" work height when a counter is installed.

Once the carcases are in place, I take the items I want to store in the cabinet and develop a plan. I can then make shelves or slideouts or drawers depending on what works best. Because of the euro drilling system, I can change my mind and re-arrange if need be.

Unless you have a special need, don't make them very deep. Thing will tend to hide in the back, never to be seen again.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Timothy Wilmots has one of the most inspiring shops I've seen.

This video is one of the many he has made about his shop, start here. He also has plans available, I purchased the one for the MFSC. The plan was very detailed and comprehensive......Rod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeR-khSMh2I
    OMG, that video has left me feeling my skills and shop are rudimentary at best.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!