Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: used G0691 pricing

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys!! I'm really happy with the deal, and will spend my morning coffee time today reading up on how to tune this particular saw.

The addition to the shop will require a bit of a re-org of my shop flow... the new saw is a full 12 inches wider than my old saw, I think a couple tools may need to be moved in order to allow for foot traffic through that area of my shop.

Also, since I installed 6" duct work around the shop for my DC last year, I want to be smart about these moves to try to avoid having to redo that work if at all possible.

(and, another bandsaw followed me home recently, so I have to account for that someplace)

And, most importantly, I really LOVED my shop flow as it was, and want to try to have similar advantages now. My jointer was right next to my table saw, which felt a lot like the "work triangle" concept that my wife speaks of in her kitchen.

I have a few ideas on how to make it all work, and will get started on that today. I expect it will take me the next week or so to get there, and I'll post pics soon.

Love the encouragement and help on this forum. Truly, thank you!
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Work triangle is important, both in my shop and in my kitchen. (I do the cooking...except for Sunday nights which is Professor Dr's SWIMBO's meal responsibility shift ) So I can appreciate your situation! Hopefully, you only have to make very minor shifting of things to keep things how you like them generally, even if the spacing is slightly different just because two tools cannot occupy the same space at the same time and you need to be able to move between them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Whew! Lots of work getting a saw setup.

I cleaned inside the saw with wire brush, dust brush, and leaf blower. Messy but effective.

I trued up the cast iron wings. One side needed tape shim.

I was happy to find the top was square to the blade (measuring from miter slots), and also that the 90 and 45 degree stops were dead on.

I reattached the rails and extension table. Ensured everything was level and aligned as I went.

Wired a 6-20 plug on the wire provided by seller. The wire was very long so I trimmed to a healthy length for my shop setup (plus some extra). Still have to finish connecting the other end to the switch box.

I found the belts to be shot so I will replace those. SPZ 625. Having a tough time finding that size anywhere including at Grizzly’s website. I’ll call them tomorrow.

Here’s a pic of the journey so far

DF54A8FA-C1C9-4A51-B5A6-395E5E6D8BD4.jpg6AB0E287-A43A-4718-8AEE-C685363E7BEC.jpg
    - Bob R.

Blog Entries
    The belts (SPZ 625) are basically impossible to source - even Grizzly cannot get them right now. They swapped me to PVM 25 belts instead, and those should arrive tomorrow.

I finished wiring the switch last night, and tested the motor (works nicely, quietly).

Also, raised the saw up onto a 3.5" tall platform. I'm tall, so this is more comfortable for me (my old saw was similarly raised), it enables the back of my jointer to fit/nest under the left edge of the table surface, and it allows the front table saw rail to fit into a space in the adjacent miter saw station (thereby allowing me to slide the entire saw over by about 5 inches... and every inch saved in my shop matters).

Next up...
    - Belts when they arrive
    - Build new outfeed table... been wanting a nicer one for awhile, so now is the time
    - Finish the shop re-org (drill press, router table, and a storage cabinet will be moving around a bit)
    - Caulk all joints on 6" PVC dust collection (because, after all this, I'm feeling like additional shop moves are not likely in the near future)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Riefer; 12-11-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    - Bob R.

Congratulations on the new addition Bob! May it serve you well!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Bob did you try taking the belts to a bearing/auto parts store ? I buy all needed belts locally at two different parts stores,usually for my machines all machine belts have been "A" series belts made for machines and electric motors . They can measure with a belt sizing tool which I prefer to do as I have had belts with sizes clearly marked and then found the new one slightly longer or shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Bob did you try taking the belts to a bearing/auto parts store ? I buy all needed belts locally at two different parts stores,usually for my machines all machine belts have been "A" series belts made for machines and electric motors . They can measure with a belt sizing tool which I prefer to do as I have had belts with sizes clearly marked and then found the new one slightly longer or shorter.
    That was my thought. We have a local outfit, Callahan and all they do are bearings belts and drives. As far as power transmission, if they don't have it or can't have it in a day or two you don't need it. I put link belts on my G1023 before I read I wasn't supposed to do that. They're working fine so I'm not about to change 'em. If I were doing it again I'd probably put AX type belts on there.

Blog Entries
    Hey guys!
    I definitely tried sourcing locally as a first step. Three separate suppliers were unable to source SPZ625 but were willing to swap me to a 25 inch belt, but couldn't tell me if the various dimensions were basically identical to the SPZ measurements... And (to my surprise) their pricing was far higher than Grizzly.

My concern was... if Grizzly is willing to stand behind a swap from the SPZ625 belt to a specific 25 inch belt that they stock (PVM 25 in their system, more commonly called 3L 250 I believe), at a much lower price compared to local options, I figured it was worth waiting for a day or two for it to arrive in the mail.

I'm probably overthinking it, but I've had so many issues lately with my saw that I was willing to wait :-)
    - Bob R.

Blog Entries
    YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

The new belts arrived, and I installed them successfully. Squared / tuned the fence, and did some test cuts. I was able to produce two popular planks that are identical to each other regardless of how they're flipped around and compared, and cutting the 1" material was smooth and easy. Saw runs smooth and quiet, no vibration, no burning on the cuts etc.

I'll call that SUCCESS!
    - Bob R.

Blog Entries
    All done!

Outfeed is melamine over a heavy duty drafting table base. $80 total invested there. Way more space than I had before.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Bob R.

Perseverance pays off. Congrats. Enjoyed reading your saga.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Rick! It was quite the saga for sure. I feel like the woodworking gods wanted me to learn this new skill :-)
    - Bob R.