Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: used G0691 pricing

Blog Entries

used G0691 pricing

Hello,
    Some of you may have been separately following my heartache trying to repair my old grizzly 1023.. I'm still hopeful I can win the battle, but it's not a sure bet... and there are a couple things I wouldn't mind having in a new saw (namely, left tilt, readily available parts for future repairs, better dust collection, riving knife... and I guess way more rip capacity wouldn't hurt)

My neighbor is a really nice guy that we've become friendly with, and his job has a shop where they test various products. Not a production shop, a test shop. They have a 6 year old G0691 that was used to cut ceiling tiles (high end through run of the mill tiles) for quality testing purposes. For insurance reasons they have moved to Sawstop.

Since he runs the lab there, he had the choice to either scrap the machine (gasp!), or hold onto it for his own personal use. Thankfully, he chose the latter. Important to note that he has $0 invested in this saw and gets it as basically a perk of running the lab/saving it from scrap yard.

Anyways, he knows he has a good saw on his hands, but currently has it stored on a pallet rack at his company because he has no room for a shop right now. Someday he may buy a bigger house, so he was thinking of keeping the saw until he learned that I might be in the market. He showed me pics and it's spotless.

He's willing to sell to me, and is going to pull it down from storage (been there for a few months) this week and get an idea for price.

Given these details, what do you think a fair price ought to be for the saw? I want to keep a great neighbor as my friend, so I'm not looking to "totally score", but getting a bit of a deal (since he has paid nothing for the tool) wouldn't hurt.

Thanks!

Bob R.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Might help if we knew more, like is this a table saw? blade size, contractor or cabinet saw. I would not buy any saw under 10" blade. Since you are looking to upgrade I would buy only a cabinet saw. Splitter or riving knife.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 12-01-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    The Grizzly G0691 is a cabinet style table saw with 10" blade, 3HP motor, riving knife, wide rip capacity, left tilt blade. It's basically superior on every feature when compared to my existing cabinet saw.

I believe these are well-known saws, so my question is really about used pricing given the considerations listed in my original post.

Thanks!

Bob R.
    - Bob R.

Bill, googling it finds this:
    https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...ng-Knife/G0691

OP, it makes it easier for us to give you advice if you help us by adding a link for instance.

Generally you start at 50% of new, or $1000 in this case. Go up or down depending on condition and sellers desperation, etc.

The riving knife alone makes it compelling for you to purchase this apparently pristine machine for your shop and sell your existing once you have it back together. While used gear in good condition often sells for about half retail, it sounds like this tool is nearly new, but obviously out of warranty. So I'd kick that number up a bit to reflect the actual condition for your offer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys! I feel like those are reasonable points of view. I'll let neighbor friend make the first call on where to start the negotiations and take it from there.
    - Bob R.

Unisaw or equal cabinet saw around $500 maybe $700 with a better fence. I would expect you will spend 35-50% more for a handful of blades , upgrade fence + miter gauge.
    Bill D.

Bob ,welcome to the wonderful world of buying,selling,repairing and collecting tablesaws. I have been following your threads with interest and some nostalgia for the recently departed old days. (In my case). I still have two Unisaws in my shop waiting to be put together and sold. One of them has a broken arbor piece same as the Grizzly you are fixing. A friend gave it to me after having the piece welded and that not working out. I had the piece needed from a saw that I parted out,but I sold it to a "creeker" who had the same issue.( Before I inherited this saw). So now it sits till I find a used part. Hopefully I will get these saws up and running and out of my shop,but I will probably end up with another one or two following me home. At least I will never be bored.

Blog Entries
    One one hand, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only heavy-handed idiot to break that arbor piece... on the other, I can truly feel their pain :-)
    - Bob R.

Bob don't beat yourself up over this,that piece is the weak link in Unisaws and similar designs. Hopefully Grizzly will be able to provide the parts needed to get that back together.

Blog Entries
    The “new” saw is mine and in my shop!!! $900. Spotless and the neighbor/ seller helped me with moving it etc. more soon with pics
    - Bob R.

Dang...great deal! Congratulations!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Congrats on the new saw. I wish I had a neighbor like that. I have been following your thread as well. Painful, but it happens to many of us with one of our pieces of equipment. Mine was a Jet 6" jointer. Brand new in 2000. The part that locks the fence broke when I tightened it before I even ran it. The replacement part was 6 to 8 week back order. Since I am a mechanical engineer, I looked at it - very poorly designed. I redesigned the lock sleeves for the fence and had a machine shop make the two new parts. I haven't had an issue with it since. I am not arrogant about things, but I like to agitate, so I of course called Jet service and asked if they would like to purchase my redesign. They didn't take me up on it. I am sure I lost the warranty at that point, but ,most aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    The “new” saw is mine and in my shop!!! $900. Spotless and the neighbor/ seller helped me with moving it etc. more soon with pics

You ROCK!!!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Fantastic deal. Nice work. I have a 691 and it is definitely a good saw.