Thread: Jammed Chuck

Jammed Chuck

Long story short, I have a Hurricane chuck (HTC125) with jammed jaw carriages - maybe debris, but more likely one of the carriages jumped it's track.
    I've disassembled backplate and retaining ring, but don't see how to proceed after that...anyone have experience in fully disassembling this chuck? I've dropped a note to Steve, but with the holiday he's probably out of town for a while.

I don't know if it would help or not, but there are 2 very good videos on You Tube by Ian 'Robbo' Robertson from Australia. In one he takes apart a Vicmarc chuck, and in the other, he takes apart a Nova chuck. I will see if I can find the link...

Got it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S-NZSqaPuo

robo hippy

Thanks Reed - those confirmed for me that with the spring clip removed the geared plate should drop out the back; unfortunately for me, the jaws are jammed in place blocking any access to use a screwdriver to push the plate out. If no one else pipes up I guess I'm out a scroll chuck.

Since you have the chuck partially disassembled have you tried hitting the chuck with a plastic and/or dead blow hammer. You may need to hit a few times. I used to have a PSI Barracuda chuck with all the jaws. I sold a mini lathe and let the PSI go with the lathe. I currently have a Nova TItan II, Nova Supernova2 and a Nova G3 chuck. The good thing about having three steps from little to big is every Nova Jaw fits on all three chucks. So if you replace your chuck you could buy another Hurricane body only or change over to Nova. I am very pleased with the Nova chucks. The Supernova2 could be used exclusively but the G3 is made for mini type lathes while the Titan is for up to 24" lathes. I have seen the Hurricane merch but am not impressed with its over all quality or the extent of the line up of jaws. Maybe it is time to start over.

I don't think anyone has answered your question. I'd call the manufacturer. He seems like a guy who is customer oriented. I think he'll help. I don't know how to contact him. I'd go to eBay and contact seller with your question. I think he is a direct marketer.

RP

6. Steve Fulgoni is the owner of the Woodturning Store, and he will help you. Don’t throw the chuck away, he is likely to walk you thru the steps to take it apart and diagnose the issue, and it would not surprise me if he didn’t replace it, having you to return the one you’re having problems with. I have 4 Hurricane chucks, and they have all been very reliable after pretty heavy use. Steve values his customers, so contact him again, and hang in there!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I would still think the great ring would still come out “banging” the chuck on a table shown in the video Reed referenced. I’m guessing you did remove the pinions. I would try soaking it with WD 40 if you haven’t already. I use to have SuperNova2 chucks and remember one had a similar problem but eventually came free. I sold my Nova and Record chucks, but I kept my HTC125. I now use Axminister chucks and very happy with those. I have the SK100 and SK114. Axminister has a very good selection of jaws and I have/use the O’Donnell jaws a lot. I have bowl jaws for the Axminister, but The HTC is a very good chuck IMO and I use it on 20” bowl blanks.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Thanks, all. Yes, Steve has always been helpful and personable to me, and he will get back to me eventually. This is my fault for trying to 'force' the chuck and putting too much pressure on the wrench; I am convinced one of the jaw carriages has slipped the spiral track and is jammed in pretty much all dimensions. If I end up replacing the chuck I will get another from Steve - I have been very happy with it.