Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw Upgrade Advise

Table Saw Upgrade Advise

Asking for advise/suggestions/thoughts about upgrading my table saw

I have had my Powermatic Artisin contractors table saw for 30 yrs. It's been a good saw for the most part
    but I am wanting to upgrade to something better.

I have my small shop in my basement. It's just a hobby for me. I do have dust collection system set up for my machines.
    There is 220v but its for my dust collector.
    So looking for a 110v ready saw
    I don't need a 600 lb , $3000.00 table saw. And Its going to be struggle getting it down the basement anyway.

Here is what I am thinking about doing and just thought I would ask your thoughts.

Selling my Powermatic
    have two guys interested
    (its listed in the classifieds here)

Then buying a Grizzly GO771Z
    from all the reading I have done about it sounds like a pretty good Hybrid table saw
    It fits in my budget, size restrictions , and its 110v ready.

Thanks for your input

Can't offer advice on your saw choice and don't mean to muddy the waters but, here goes Would it make sense to look at converting your DC to 110 and take the 220 for the saw? I have a Grizzly DC and it came 110v. I converted it to 220.

Going from the PM Artisan saw to a hybrid isnt going to be a huge upgrade I don’t think. Moving a Unisaw or PM66 or G1023 down stairs isn’t hard with 2 average strength guys and a hand truck. Take the top off.

So I’d suggest getting a true cabinet saw and figuring out the 220V. Add a circuit, if you use the DC with the TS.

Guess I could do that for my dust collector.
    Then I would be looking at a 220 v hybrid saw for another 100+ dollars.
    Then what saw would be worthwhile?

Not a hybrid saw. A 3hp cabinet saw if you’re buying new, or an older 1.5hp+ saw like an older Uni or PM66.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Going from the PM Artisan saw to a hybrid isnt going to be a huge upgrade I don’t think. Moving a Unisaw or PM66 or G1023 down stairs isn’t hard with 2 average strength guys and a hand truck. Take the top off.

So I’d suggest getting a true cabinet saw and figuring out the 220V. Add a circuit, if you use the DC with the TS.
    This. Avoid the Grizzly. Find a Unisaw or PM66 in excellent condition and partially disassemble it to get it into the basement.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Well
    I just sold my Powermatic table saw. I had it for thirty years and sold it for $150 less than I bought it brand new for.

So now I am table saw less. That's a strange felling

So now I need to start looking. I'll have to get lucky to find a PM66 or Unisaw at a good price.
    I think I could handle a $1500.00 budget. So know I am leaning toward a true cabinet saw I guess.

I have read quite a few good reviews about the G1023 though. I thought Grizzly was liked around here ? Guess not.

You say you have 240 volts. How many amps? No reason you can not run two machines from one supply. If you have 40 amps or more just install a sub panel in the shop. It is probably easier to pull a new bigger cable then to haul heavy saws and dust collectors up and down the stairs.
    If I was pulling a new cable I would size it for 50 amps or more. If you are a cheapskate like me watch c-list for used wire and panels.
    Bill D.

Lots of people like Grizzly, just not Andy ;-)

He likes American old iron, as I do, but Grizzly makes good stuff too.

I've had my Grizzly G1023Z for 15+ years I think and it has been fantastic. I had the "upgrade" fence which I fought with for years, so don't go there. With a regular Biesmeyer style fence, it would have been wonderful. I went with a VSCT fence with rails I made about a year ago and couldn't be happier. With the top off the saw, you'll be able to get it into the basement without too much of a fight.

I have owned and used Unisaws for 25 years or so. That being said I would not hesitate to buy other cabinet saws. PM,Canadian made General,and yes even Grizzly. One of my ex-employees bought one and it is a real nice saw (1023) as good or better than a Unisaw.

I also suggest being a bit patient and finding a good used saw. I just sold my PM 66 which was replaced with a Sawstop PCS. There seems to be a ready supply of used 66's and uni's in Cincinnati at least. One in really good shape can be found for less than $1500 and often in the $1000 range. Good luck
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    I've had my Grizzly G1023Z for 15+ years I think and it has been fantastic. I had the "upgrade" fence which I fought with for years, so don't go there. With a regular Biesmeyer style fence, it would have been wonderful. I went with a VSCT fence with rails I made about a year ago and couldn't be happier. With the top off the saw, you'll be able to get it into the basement without too much of a fight.
    Me too, except I got the “standard” fence which has been fantastic. I think the Grizzly you are looking at would be an excellent choice and worthwhile upgrade. It has 2 HP vs 1.5, and a completely enclosed cabinet which should help with dust collection. A 3 HP motor is great for cutting thick hardwoods but isn’t a necessity for occasional use as you describe.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m not real comfortable buying a used saw that might be 25 yrs old. But I do understand that those good ol saws last forever. But it might be hard to find parts if it ever came to that.
    I have been eyeing up the Grizzly 1023. It’s a huge upgrade from a contractor saw and it checks a lot of my box’s.
    price
    power
    dust collection
    performance

I think it would be all I need for the next 20 yrs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burke View Post
    Well
    I just sold my Powermatic table saw. I had it for thirty years and sold it for $150 less than I bought it brand new for.

So now I am table saw less. That's a strange felling

So now I need to start looking. I'll have to get lucky to find a PM66 or Unisaw at a good price.
    I think I could handle a $1500.00 budget. So know I am leaning toward a true cabinet saw I guess.

I have read quite a few good reviews about the G1023 though. I thought Grizzly was liked around here ? Guess not.
    You can find a person or group of people who dislike any brand. You have had good luck with your PM but, others have posted long-running nightmares with them. Same for Jet, Grizzly, Laguna, even Hammer and Mini Max. Setting that knee-jerk prejudice aside, there are quite a few decent offering in the hybrid and entry level cab-saw arena right now.

If you can go to 240v the Grizzly 1023 has a long and loyal following. It is at the top of your budget but, is probably the best bang for the buck. The smaller footprint of a cab-saw is always nice for people moving from a rear motor contractor saw. Certainly a heavier-duty, 3HP saw will probably last you the rest of your life. I made do with a 1.75 HP hybrid for quite awhile and wold probably still be using it had not a windfall wandered by.

Something like the Laguna Fusion, the Jet ProShop or the Griz 771 would save you up to $500 but, each makes concessions to come in at that price point. List out the top 3 - 5 things that you really want out of your new saw. This will help you narrow it down. For example, if a commercial quality T-fence is in your top 3, the Jet may win out over the Grizzly. If the mass of cast iron wings is high on your list, the Laguna will be wanting. These are just examples, not meant to be arguing points
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-02-2019 at 2:10 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler