Thread: Sliding table saw crosscut fence DRO

Sliding table saw crosscut fence DRO

I have a MM SC4E with the manual flip stops on the crosscut fences. I'm thinking about upgrading to a digital readout. The Pro Scale kit seems to be the one that comes up the most, but does anyone have any other ideas other than a Wixey? I have a couple of Wixeys and I'm pretty underwhelmed by them.

Thanks

I agree on the wixey’s, I had an older version of the proscale (I assume you are talking about this https://www.proscale.com/products/in...-digital-kits/) which I used on the crosscut and on the rip fence of an SCMI that I had years ago, the problem with it and any of the knock offs is that it uses an encoder rail which on the crosscut requires you to mount it to the front of the crosscut rail (thats how I had it) which mean you can only use it in one of the mounting positions on the outrigger which may be ok depending on how ypu like to use your saw, or you have to float it off the rail if you can’t mount directly to it (this is the worst hack of all) the issue on the rip fence is that you can’t flip the fence completely (and I mean completely, not halfway) out of the way without removing/disconnecting the piece that travels on the encoder rail.

If you are ok with jerry rigging, hacking something together then maybe it can work for you others have done it with comprise.

Also, I find the crosscut accurate enough that I haven’t bothered with adding it, I will add it to the rip as the i find the parallax of adjusting it is greater. I think if you were in a shop with multiple users then you might benefit mor from full digital right off the bat.

The better way to do it is with a magnetic encoder like the Fiama - here is one that can be panel mounted (they also make one in a case)

https://fiama-us.com/fiama-products/...indicator-f7p/
    Last edited by Mark e Kessler; 12-01-2019 at 12:22 AM.

actually, if i add it to the rip i will add it to the crosscut. Using the rip as a bump stop you will want the the crosscut to agree with the rip and that would be hard to do without both of them being digital

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    I agree on the wixey’s, I had an older version of the proscale which I used on the crosscut and on the rip fence of an SCMI that I had years ago, the problem with it and any of the knock offs is that it uses an encoder rail which on the crosscut requires you to mount it to the front of the rail (thats how I had it) which mean you can only use it in one of the mounting positions on the outrigger which may be ok depending on how ypu like to use your saw, or you have to float it off the rail if you can’t mount directly to it (this is the worst hack of all) the issue on the rip fence is that you can’t flip the fence completely (and I mean completely, not halfway) out of the way without removing/disconnecting the piece that travels on the encoder rail.

If you are ok with jerry rigging, hacking something together then maybe it can work for you others have done it with comprise.

Also, I find the crosscut accurate enough that I haven’t bothered with adding it, I will add it to the rip as the i find the parallax of adjusting it is greater. I think if you were in a shop with multiple users then you might benefit mor from full digital right off the bat.

The better way to do it is with a magnetic encoder like the Fiama - here is one that can be panel mounted (they also make one in a case)

https://fiama-us.com/fiama-products/...indicator-f7p/