Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What planes do you regret buying?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    With the Lee Valley Cyber Monday sale coming, I can feel my willpower weakening.
    I'm leery of buying stuff that I don't need.

What tools have you regretted buying?

Please talk me out of buying more planes.
    Probably a Stanley #45. Super nifty looking, but mediocre at everything it does. Long since joined the pantheon of the departed.

Second would be a LN #140 skew block, You always have better options than that.

Bullnose plane.

Used a lot, when doing drywall.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    This one is easy...
    There are a few planes that I regret that I haven't tuned up yet (#3 type 11), as I want to use it...
    And then there is a #5 that I want to dislike because it is so ugly, but it works so well with a widened mouth and cambered blade...

But the one that I do regret: Surform Pocket Plane...

Ugh. I'd imagine this would be great for cub scouts to use to shape wood. I'd recommend 60-grit sandpaper glued onto blocks of wood, instead.

Matt
    Those are a great tool for doing drywall work. I can't imagine that they'd be much good on wood though.

I was just reading along and thinking, “the time to buy anything is when I see it, don’t go looking.” Then I saw your post and punched in the distance to Villa Park! Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I just bought too many. I really need to sell some of them. I bought multiples of some sizes thinking I'd always have another one to reach for when the first started getting dull. But I don't do that - I stop and sharpen.

I just need to make up my mind to go through my bench planes and sell off some of them.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    That's interesting. I actually picked up a LV #6 during one of these Cyber Monday Lee Valley sales and it has become one of the most used planes I own. I've turned it into a jack plane and honestly prefer this over the #5's I used to use. I still break out the #5's for this purpose if the blade is dull in the #6 but am always bummed at the smaller size when I do. I just prefer the larger reference surface when flattening boards with the #6.
    Hmm, I say while nodding. You must have Popeye-sized forearms to use a hulking No. 6 as a jack for hogging off material. Now, while I myself am no slouch at arm wrestling, I’d loath using a No. 6 for dimensioning lumber. It is nice to see No. 6’s get some love.

ECE plow plane.

Shavings of any thickness jam, fence inevitably shifts.
    Everything I detest in tools: fiddly, expensive and ineffective.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Andrew, could you post an image of this plane. It doesn't appear to be listed on the Old Tool Haven site > https://oldtoolheaven.com/blok/blok.htm

Could you possibly be referring to the Millers Falls equivalent of the Stanley #140?

jtk
    It's the Miller's Falls version of the Stanley #140. I've always wanted a Stanley or LN #95, but I have never been willing to spend that much on a plane. The most expensive one I have is a Stanley compass plane (I don't remember the number) that I paid a little over $100 for. i was on the fence on that one, but it was an in-person buy, and the plane was in good condition, and I specifically needed a compass plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Danstrom View Post
    I can't say "regret" because they're worth more than I paid a decade ago. But I just can't see that I need #3, 4, 4 1/2, 5, 5 1/4, 5 1/2, 6, 7 and 8. I sold off the duplicates and now I'm deciding which ones to keep as users. Maybe 3, 5, 7 and the low angle jack and jointer are enough. I need to decide of if I'd rather have a 4 1/2 or a 5 1/2 instead of a 5. The 6 and 8 are moving on no matter what. I just don't need all the excess and just the users are quite a collection.

I meet a hoarder and the only difference is my junk is organized.
    I have all those standard angle bench planes except the 5 1/4 and the 5 1/2. If I could only keep 3 of them, it would be 4, 5, and 7. Four would be 3, 4, 5, and 7. Fortunately, I don't need to get rid of any

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    It's the Miller's Falls version of the Stanley #140. I've always wanted a Stanley or LN #95, but I have never been willing to spend that much on a plane. The most expensive one I have is a Stanley compass plane (I don't remember the number) that I paid a little over $100 for. i was on the fence on that one, but it was an in-person buy, and the plane was in good condition, and I specifically needed a compass plane.
    A compass plane is a handy thing to have if one does curved work.

My Stanley #95 was one to get me biting the bullet and then not finding a lot of use for it. Maybe it should be given another try at cutting sliding dovetails. Otherwise one of these days it may get sold.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

LN medium shoulder plane. Maybe not regret, but definitely not as useful as I thought it would be.

A Stanley no 62 It is a nice looking plane but has a chip in the mouth. I do not use it for fear of chipping it out more. so it sits in the tool box and I think about selling it to buy a good crosscut saw witch I need more.
    And a no.4 1/2 that I picked up at the same time I just seam to like using a no.3 more.

Well, a week ago I would have said my LN 97 1/2 chisel plane. But then I used it to flush trim 20 Cocobolo dowels and it was the perfect tool for the job. Left an absolutely beautiful and perfect surface. Initially I used a chisel, but Cocobolo being really hard and base material poplar being soft it was slow going. Didn’t relish spending a couple of hours on that job and then probably having to sand it smooth. Then I remembered my long idle chisel plane and, voila! Now it’s a certain keeper.

LV side rabbet. Used once and never found any use since.

Woodriver #5. Used for few months till I bought LV #7, which has become my default plane now.

15. Like others, I don't regret any of them. I think i'm at just over 40 atm (mix of LV, LN &HNT Gordon). Having said that, I no longer really use the LV Bevel up bench planes (perhaps only the BU smoother at times) I have as I always reach for the Bevel Down LN bench planes in preference. Nothing wrong with the LV, but I just prefer using the bevel down planes. I also use the large shoulder in preference to the medium 98% of the time. I'm still reluctant to even consider moving them on tho .

Part of me also wants a LN shooting plane vs the LV that I have. The LV works great and I love it, but something about the LN version calls to me haha.

The LV planes I love are the small plow, the Skew Rebate(s) and the large router.

As long as you buy quality I don't think there will be any real regrets!

Cheers, Dom