Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What planes do you regret buying?

it's been stored away for many years the LN No.9 bronze miter plane. Happily replaced with the LV miter plane several years ago. Love that beefy little plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Stanley #78 in perfect as new condition. It is a nightmare for me to use as a left hander since you end up always inadvertently moving the depth adjuster. It's the only pan I've ever bought where being lefty caused me any grief.
    Funny you mention a #78. It was one of those planes I had to have. I found an immaculate Sweetheart era specimen at a great price and jumped on it. I think I used it twice in 10 years. It left me in the great purge of 2018.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I'm fortunate to have Lee Valley planes and use them all. If you have a LV shooting board plane and you don't want it I may be your man. Just get in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I have an LV BU Smoother (4 1/2 sized) that I almost never use. But like they say, I'll give it up when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

Dr. Lau, look seriously at an LV Shooting Plane - I bought mine at a cyber monday sale. LOVE that tool!

I tried... During the checkout, my cart stalled for 45 minutes...before telling me that it was no longer in stock.
    I was a bit pissed, but figured it's God's way of telling me to have self-restraint.

That shooting plane would have been great for a ukulele top that I needed to rejoin.

FWIW, I have to wonder if my thread broke the LV site last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    FWIW, I have to wonder if my thread broke the LV site last night.
    Nah. I'm pretty sure it was 30-40 minutes of Amazon level traffic on a new website designed for more restrained use. (And there's little chance anyone here, that was interested, hadn't heard about the sale.)

Besides we regularly crashed the old site on Cyber-Monday for the last several years. In fact, this is the first time I haven't had something in my cart sellout while trying to check out. Of course, I wasn't going for the more popular high ticket items either. BTW- they still have gift cards. Figure out what you want(-ed) and get the appropriate gift card. You can have yourself a personal sale on new items next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Please talk me out of buying more planes.
    Wait, are you saying you have enough planes?

Regret: Woodriver #3 plane, just plain junk these days as the side lever was next to impossible to move. Was happy enough with the shoulder plane, the block block plane and the low angle jack plane but gave those to my son.
    Bought to try out, then not used after trying it out (found better ways to do the same thing) and subsequently disposed off: Record #43 plough plane, Stanley #50 plough plane, Stanley #99 side rabbet plane.

I have a LV bronze edge plane in the original box. I never use it and only bought it because it is such a lovely little tool! I take it out once in awhile just to look at it and admire how well it fits my hand. That said, it will be part of the cache that I plan to move on to others in the near future. There will also be several Hock plane iron/chipbreakers that I bought when I knew that I just had to build Krenov-style planes.
    Best regards,

Ron

You haven't really been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2!

Hi Marinus
    What did you replace the plough planes with?

Quote Originally Posted by Chet R Parks View Post
    it's been stored away for many years the LN No.9 bronze miter plane. Happily replaced with the LV miter plane several years ago. Love that beefy little plane.
    If it's the early version of the LN you may be pleasantly surprised at it's value today...

When I built a wall hanger to hug my planes and offer them at arm's length over my bench, I knew it was an affirmation that I do not intend to buy additional planes. My set is a 2008 LN 4-1/2, a 1931 Stanley Bailey 5-1/2, a 1922 Bed Rock 607, and a 1990s Stanley block plane. All four have been meticulously tuned, and my view is that I should be able to do just about anything (flat) with these. Of course, this year I've added an 1892 Stanley No. 71 router plane, plus three spokeshaves for curves: a LN round Boggs, a 151 of early but unknown vintage, and a 151R of equal antiquity. And an antique Stanley No. 80 cabinet scraper.

I was dancing around maybe buying a shoulder plane for tenon cheeks, but I find that the router plane gives me greater control and precision in the distance between the face and the parallel cheek. I'm not sure how I'd regulate that with the shoulder plane, and I'd rather use chisels for the shoulders.

One small regret is that I bought the LN 4-1/2 with a corrugated sole; I'd rather have smooth (and bronze would be nice). Beyond that, no regrets, except maybe that I don't have a LN block plane –– but that wouldn't fit into the wall hanger, and the latter-day Stanley seems to work very well indeed. I fully intend (and hope!) not to be tempted further. We'll see.

plane rack.jpg
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 12-03-2019 at 1:06 PM.

John,
    Yea I saw what they are going for on Ebay, I think that's ridiculous that some people think it's worth that much. I'd like to donate it to some sort of museum that collects this kind of stuff. Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Chet R Parks View Post
    John,
    Yea I saw what they are going for on Ebay, I think that's ridiculous that some people think it's worth that much. I'd like to donate it to some sort of museum that collects this kind of stuff. Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread.
    I could be some sort of a museum...

Good one Dominik