Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What planes do you regret buying?

1. Actually, one I do regret is the LV Pull Shave. Just don't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominik Dudkiewicz View Post
    Actually, one I do regret is the LV Pull Shave. Just don't use it.
    Dom, which just goes to show how personal plane (tool) choice can be. I find the pull shave very useful for seats.

Regards from Perth

Derek

3. Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Dom, which just goes to show how personal plane (tool) choice can be. I find the pull shave very useful for seats.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Yeah, and that is why I bought it. But I ended up using a HNT radius plane and Claire Minihan Travisher instead. I will have to give it another chance!

Cheers, Dom

I regret most of the cheap planes I bought.

All the vintage planes I bought (then sold) while trying to develop a good user set. If I add up all the money they cost and all the time spent fettling and restoring them, I would have been ahead of the game just to buy a basic kit from Lie Nielsen. After I sold everything off, that's where I wound up anyway.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    With the Lee Valley Cyber Monday sale coming, I can feel my willpower weakening.
    I'm leery of buying stuff that I don't need.

What tools have you regretted buying?

Please talk me out of buying more planes.
    Thank you for the reminding me of the sale. I have 15 planes, don't regret any of them, and will look at the sale to see if there is anything I want to add. :-)

Stanley #78 in perfect as new condition. It is a nightmare for me to use as a left hander since you end up always inadvertently moving the depth adjuster. It's the only pan I've ever bought where being lefty caused me any grief.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

LV bevel up smoother. Once I got a vintage Stanley No. 4 I really haven't used it since. Going to put up for sale soon, if anyone is interested PM me

Not attempting to hijack the thread but speaking of the LV Cyber Monday sale, I just checked their website and it doesn't appear that we can see what will actually be included in the sale ahead of time. Is that right?

Hi Mike -

That's correct - it all goes up at midnight.... and we'll all be there watching to see how the new servers handle the volume. Been load testing for a week now....and hopefully, we can handle three times the load of previous years....

There are LOTS of planes.....

And - there are discounted gift cards - so even if you don't see what you want, a discounted gift card can be used at a later date, on regular inventory (some exceptions (like Festool and Sawstop) apply)....

Cheers -

Rob
    (sleepless in Ottawa....)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Not attempting to hijack the thread but speaking of the LV Cyber Monday sale, I just checked their website and it doesn't appear that we can see what will actually be included in the sale ahead of time. Is that right?
    Last edited by Rob Lee; 12-01-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Mike -

That's correct - it all goes up at midnight.... and we'll all be there watching to see how the new servers handle the volume. Been load testing for a week now....and hopefully, we can handle three times the load of previous years....

There are LOTS of planes.....

And - there are discounted gift cards - so even if you don't see what you want, a discounted gift card can be used at a later date, on regular inventory (some exceptions (like Festool and Sawstop) apply)....

Cheers -

Rob
    (sleepless in Ottawa....)
    Thanks for the reply Rob. Midnight...what's the time zone?

Hi Mike - EST!

(sorry to be slow replying....was out!)

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Thanks for the reply Rob. Midnight...what's the time zone?

I have 4 I regretted. One was a tiny new stanley....cheap piece of essentially junk....at least it was pretty cheap. Two I bought in a hurry due to time constraints that I didn't look over well and both had body cracks....I was in a hurry and I thought the price was really right. After I found and bought replacement parts the price wasn't so right on one, but the other was still a good buy. However, in each case at least I ended up with good planes, together not much over priced due to the original price, but still too much for the one.

The final one is a jointer plane that has corroded in machine screws....I think I can fix it, but haven't taken the time to fool with it yet.

I HOPE I have learned my lesson....don't get in a hurry when you don't have time to really look over a tool. On that auction site I have learned not to buy, even when the price is really right on a tool I have wanted for a few years......IF the pictures are not good enough to make a thorough evaluation. Any more I also send a note asking if the machine screws will all turn. If I don't get a reply I don't bid.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 12-01-2019 at 9:23 PM.

Hi all, I haven’t posted in a long time here but what can I say? I’ve missed the knuckle draggers around here lol.

I’m disappointed in the LV medium shoulder plane. Absolutely nothing wrong with the tool, I just happened to discover I get good results with just a chisel for most tenons. For wide tenons or breadboard ends, I would rather grab my LN rabbeting block plane for the shoulders.

This is more about how I work than whether the tool is good, I can’t stress that enough.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cherry View Post
    Hi all, I haven’t posted in a long time here but what can I say? I’ve missed the knuckle draggers around here lol.

I’m disappointed in the LV medium shoulder plane. Absolutely nothing wrong with the tool, I just happened to discover I get good results with just a chisel for most tenons. For wide tenons or breadboard ends, I would rather grab my LN rabbeting block plane for the shoulders.

This is more about how I work than whether the tool is good, I can’t stress that enough.
    My shoulder plane finds a little work, but not usually for working on tenons. For me a chisel is less work and does a cleaner job. Most of my tenon cheeks are also trimmed with a chisel.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)