Thread: Installing T-track system onto exisitng workbench surface: a different approach

Installing T-track system onto exisitng workbench surface: a different approach

I have a very nice workbench with a 3/4" particle board top. I'd like to add a T-track system but don't want to route out the particle board to inset the tracks or route out a new sheet of 3/4" plywood that I would be placed on top of the existing tabletop. Instead, I'm thinking of first screwing down the T-tracks (a couple of long horizontal tracks and a few verticals) onto the top exactly where I want them, then cutting 3/8" plywood pieces in between to bring the tracks flush with the ply and countersink screwing down the ply in each corner of each piece. Does anyone see any problem with this approach? The reason I'm thinking of going this route is because I don't really have the room to route out a 32" by 96" piece of heavy 3/4" ply and my routing skills are still rudimentary, especially doing so in a way that ensures that all the routes are done exactly right.

Also, should the T-tracks be completely flush with the plywood or just a hair below? 3/8" plywood should bring it exactly flush with the T-Track. Thanks for your input.

Flush or a "proverbial" hair below flush is fine. And yes, your method will work just fine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Your 3/8” plywood likely is thinner than that. Make sure it isn’t thinner than your track or your plan won’t work.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Your 3/8” plywood likely is thinner than that. Make sure it isn’t thinner than your track or your plan won’t work.
    This is an important point...almost all plywood is built in metric measurements which is "one" reason that thickness is always referred to as nominal when referring to it in inches. But even so, its all still very variable, even within a single sheet and even for the highest quality products available. MDF is typically a lot more consistent in thickness, in my experience, but finding it in 3/8" thickness will be a challenge. It's made based on my quick look at Industrial Plywood's site, but may be hard to find "at retail". Therefore, you may need to use .5" material and shim up your tee tracks to suit as a .125" recess below the surface may not be very desirable on a bench.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You method is done frequently. As others have advised, make sure the 3/8" ply isn't thinner than your T-track.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That's pretty much my approach to everything. Look for a simple, effective, error proof way to get the job done. Not to mention your approach is reversible, replaceable, and makes future alterations easy.