Thread: Mold/mildew on BLO treated oak barrels

Mold/mildew on BLO treated oak barrels

A little over three years ago, I purchased two Oak wine barrels for use at my daughter's wedding. I finished them with boiled linseed oil. They have been on our porch ever since. I live in the south and they have molded or mildewed. What is the best way to clean and treat them so they won't rot?
    Should I bring them inside for an extended period so that they can dry completely and possibly kill the mold or mildew that is in the penetrated oil?

Bleach to kill the mold then deck cleaner/brightener to lighten the wood back to a more new color. Then bring it inside to dry out if you want to finish it again. But don't use BLO. Better to use nothing outside than BLO.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Bleach to kill the mold then deck cleaner/brightener to lighten the wood back to a more new color. Then bring it inside to dry out if you want to finish it again. But don't use BLO. Better to use nothing outside than BLO.
    I forgot to mention that I treated it with a BLO/mineral spirit combo solution to help penetration. A few more quations, if you don't mind:

1. If I let it dry long enough, will that kill the mold/mildew in the oil that penetrated deeper?
    2. With winter coming on, should I let it dry outside, where the humidity will be real low?
    3. Tung Oil has been mentioned as a good oil finish that doesn't mildew. What about Danish Oil? I ask because I have some.
    4. Since I learned about BLO online, and the mineral spirit/BLO mix online, why should I trust any answers I get here? ;o)
    Last edited by Guy Lester; 12-01-2019 at 3:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Lester View Post
    I forgot to mention that I treated it with a BLO/mineral spirit combo solution to help penetration. A few more quations, if you don't mind:

1. If I let it dry long enough, will that kill the mold/mildew in the oil that penetrated deeper?
    2. With winter coming on, should I let it dry outside, where the humidity will be real low?
    3. Tung Oil has been mentioned as a good oil finish that doesn't mildew. What about Danish Oil? I ask because I have some.
    4. Since I learned about BLO online, and the mineral spirit/BLO mix online, why should I trust any answers I get here? ;o)

1. Yes, the mold will die if the RH is low enough but the black stains will remain unless you treat the wood.
    2. If you want it to really dry bring it inside. The RH may be lower on average in the Winter where you are (not where I live), but I doubt it's really very low, especially at night.
    3. If you want mold/mildew resistance you need to use an outdoor oil finish specifically formulated with mildewcides. Indoor oil finishes don't have them.
    4. What was it you learned about using BLO + mineral spirits? As for trusting advice you get here, or anywhere else, it's up to you sort out fact from fiction and what will actually work for you.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    1. Yes, the mold will die if the RH is low enough but the black stains will remain unless you treat the wood.
    2. If you want it to really dry bring it inside. The RH may be lower on average in the Winter where you are (not where I live), but I doubt it's really very low, especially at night.
    3. If you want mold/mildew resistance you need to use an outdoor oil finish specifically formulated with mildewcides. Indoor oil finishes don't have them.
    4. What was it you learned about using BLO + mineral spirits? As for trusting advice you get here, or anywhere else, it's up to you sort out fact from fiction and what will actually work for you.

John
    Thanks, John.

BTW, #4 was a joke (note the winky). That being said, your answer is sound advice.