Thread: Grizzly G0632Z -stuck spindle handle-replacing drive pulley

Grizzly G0632Z -stuck spindle handle-replacing drive pulley

The much needed drive pulley replacement finally arrived today. I do not know how to swap this thing out.

It was unclear as how to access the drive pulley and replace it. One was to remove the spindle handle/handwheel and replace it or, take the control plate (where the digital readout, forward/reverse switch and other items are located) off, access and take the ball bearings out and basically take a significant amount of the headstock apart. That may be the correct procedure...and I'm fairly ignorant here, but it seems that the handwheel approach might be simpler? If I am correct, please continue reading and see the attached photos. I did try to remove the handwheel, but was unable to do so. The 3 set screws holding it in came out fine but the part itself seemed stuck. This prevented the removal of the side belt access panel.....as a result, this prevented direct access to the defective drive pulley with it's 2 set screws. I do know that the handwheel has to come off in order to replace the pulley...so how do I do it correctly?....tapping with a rubber mallet and other methods proved to be unsuccessful. The photos show the handwheel from above and the inside....the other picture shows the bad drive pulley and the belt access plate that sits flush on the pulley. If other pictures will help please let me know.

Advice on how to access the drive pulley and replace it? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you

SWS
    IMG_20191129_165307449.jpgIMG_20191129_204429274.jpgIMG_20191129_203503506.jpg
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 12-06-2019 at 7:33 PM. Reason: add model number to thread title

I'm surprised at no replies. Holidays maybe. I have no experience. So reticent to give advise. But it does look like the hand wheel should come off first and it may just be tight. I suggest finding a way to turn it to loosen it. It should be free once you've remove the set screws; at least according to the exploded view. It also may be threaded. Maybe there is a wrench that fits in the end?

I think once you get the hand wheel off, you'll have to remove the whole drive assembly through the front, and will likely need a gear puller to get those pulleys off.

Hopefully someone will chime in with some experience here.

Stark, a suggestion...perhaps if you indicated which model of Grizzly lathe you have perhaps someone would respond. I don't know if you can revise the title. But if not, then at least add the model # of your lathe.

Stark, is that the G0632z that you've previously posted about? If so, I just pulled up the parts list schematic on Grizzly's site, and removal of the spindle pulley looks fairly straightforward.
    https://cdn0.grizzly.com/partslists/g0632z_pl.pdf

I'm not much help but remember most hand wheels have left hand threads.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Stark, is that the G0632z that you've previously posted about? If so, I just pulled up the parts list schematic on Grizzly's site, and removal of the spindle pulley looks fairly straightforward.
    https://cdn0.grizzly.com/partslists/g0632z_pl.pdf
    Stark, further to this. I would first call Grizzly tech support today and confirm with them the procedure, but from the parts list schematic, it looks like the handwheel simply threads onto the outboard end of the spindle, then is secured by the two set screws. Lock the spindle with the spindle lock, then, using only hand pressure, try unscrewing the handwheel, first clockwise (in case it's left-hand threaded), then counter clockwise if it doesn't unscrew. I doubt it is on very tight.

Once the handwheel and dust cover are off, look to see if there are two threaded holes in the wall of the pulley casting. I bet there are, and if so, they are for a bolt-type wheel puller set like this one that Harbor Freight has for $16:

https://www.harborfreight.com/bolt-t...set-62620.html

From the parts diagram, the pulley simply slides onto and off of the spindle, and is kept from rotating on the spindle by the hardened key in the key way, and locked in place with the two set screws. The wheel puller is easy to use. If you can't find one locally, and if you're fairly handy in the shop, you can also fashion a shop‐built puller with a 4" piece of 1/4" steel flat bar, through‐bored for two metric machine screws (bolts) that match the threads of the holes in the pulley. My guess is that they are M8 x 1.25.

The pulley should slide off easily with the puller. A targeted spritz of WD40, Fluid-Film, or even penetrating oil, may help. Before you remove the pulley, be sure to note it's location on the spindle (measure from the end of the spindle). That way, when you install the replacement you won't have to fiddle to align it with the motor drive pulley.

Again, I would call Grizzly tech. They should be able to confirm if all of this is correct, and guide you through this with little difficulty.

Thank you everyone for the follow up posts, links etc. Getting back into the shop tonight to work a little further on this. Hopefully, the handwheel will unscrew. And yes, great question on the lathe model, my fault for not including that it is a G0632Z. As a side note, minus the recent problems regarding the rusted drive pulley (the only internal part in that condition), I love this lathe. The 2hp, 220v, outboard capability, solid build for that price was a good deal. The last thing I want to do is to have this situation drag on.....additionally, the silver lining is that I've gained a lot of very useful information.

SWS

To anyone that might be following this thread, I just wanted to let you know that Grizzly has decided to repair the current headstock on my G0632Z, or replace it if necessary. A quick review on the stuck spindle handle: I asked specifically about the threading and was told that it was in fact left handed. When I got to the spindle handle it rotated (finally) and then slowed down and literally locked up. This was with a significant amount of force. After calling them back, they agreed to the suggestion for an exchange/repair of the headstock, motor and all. Provided the outcome of all this is as expected, I'll be very happy. Thanks for all the helpful input and suggestions. BTW, I was unable to change the thread title (time limit most likely) and add the model number, G0632Z.

SWS
    Last edited by Stark Suggs; 12-06-2019 at 4:25 PM.

Stark, thanks for the update. Very puzzling about the handwheel locking up. But, then, rust on the spindle pulley was also puzzling to begin with. Maybe something corrosive, even salt water, dripped onto that area en route in the shipping container.

Sounds like Grizzly is taking care of you, though. Pls keep us posted.