Thread: Bandsaw Experts...Help me with my Anxiety...

Bandsaw Experts...Help me with my Anxiety...

I have a Laguna 1412. It's a nice saw, at least for me. I've been very pleased with it.

I run a 3/4" 3tpi Resaw King blade and I have got it to the point where there is no drift. I don't cut logs or large stuff on it, but the 3/4" blade limits some of the benefits of cutting tighter curves.

I have a 1/4" and 3/8" blade, but since putting on the 3/4" and getting it set so nicely, I'm a little anxious about actually switching the blade and needing to go through the messing around to dial out any drift.

Am I worrying about nothing? Should the other blades track perfectly as well now the wheels are set?

I'm almost to the point of buying, maybe a Rikon 306, just to have the flexibility of the thinner blade, but really don't have the space.

Thanks
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 11-29-2019 at 5:42 PM.

ChrisA, swapping blades is time consuming, but once you get the hang of it, it really doesn't take that long. As for having multiple band saws, many people with the resources and space do as you suggested and get something in the 10" saw range for cutting tight curves, etc. I'd suggest you watch Alex Snodgrasse's video on tuning a band saw. It is a great video and teaches some good techniques to help with what you are experiencing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU
    Good luck with whatever route you take.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Having 2 wood-cutting bandsaws is the answer. Mine are the 20" Agazanni and 16" MiniMax.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

You cannot dial out drift. It is related to sharpening. It happens mostly on steel blades that have set made by alternately bending teeth side to side to varying degrees.
    It is almost, or non-existent on the carbide tipped bandsaw blades- they have no bent set, but rather the teeth are brazed on, and the set or kerf is actually ground into the assembly.
    It takes longer to worry about what might happen, than to change the blade, dial it in, and use it on a saw that size. If you were talking a 9 1/2' tall Tannewitz or Yates 36" or 42" saw, then it is more effort.

I’m a lot like Chris when I get a new blade and it cuts so nicely I won’t change it till it’s dull. I had to seek my 14 inch bandsaw because the wood shop is out of money. Scraping the bottom
    Its nice to have more then one saw.
    Good Luck
    Aj

You may have things "dialed in" for that specific blade in that specific blade's condition, but if you were to put on an "identical" new blade, chances are you will have to make slight adjustments to get the tracking and drift sorted out for "that" blade. It's the nature of the tool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I thought about this some more, as I was driving to Home Depot this afternoon. I guess I can mark the adjustment knob, so I can get it almost lined up for when I put that blade back on. Not sure exactly how helpful that will be depending upon not being 100% consistent with setting the blade tension.

I got this blade setup perfectly once, I'm sure I can do that again.

I know I'm going to wake up at 4am thinking about this.

Chris, Band saws are made to be adjusted. If you look at it like, the adjusting it is part of the operation, and instead of getting nervous about it, and trying to avoid it, because you have not done it enough, to feel comfortable doing it, it will get easier in time and will not seem like such a nuisance.
    Setup, and maintenance are a big part of working in the shop. The more you do it the better you will get at it, and your tools will be more pleasant to use because they are setup and maintained correctly.
    If you are frequently changing band saw blades, to cut curves then a used 9" delta benchtop band saw is inexpensive and can be placed out of the way when not in use.

You are right, I think my big issue/hang up is, I have about 400bd/ft of 5/4, that I will plane and then resaw to about 9/16" x 4" x 10'. My Resaw King, currently, does this without any drift over that length, so this is where I'm apprehensive to mess with swapping blades at this point, but I'm not likely to start this procedure until near the end of December or early January.

I need to Big Boy Up, poop and get off the pot.

One more reason I am reluctant to take a very good blade is goofing up a tooth or two.
    My Aggi is kinda tight taking the blade out of the upright side of the saw.
    Ive done it enough to know what to expect.
    A Resaw King for my saw is 250. I consider it a jointery blade because it cuts so smooth.
    Good Luck
    Aj