My 2 inch water line is (about 700 ft long meter to house) has developed a leak after 15 years of leakfree service.It is the kind of pipe that is just slipped together with no glue and depends on an internal a gasket to seal from the pressure in the pipe. Pipe is oversized for its function but it was installed for me for as a trade for use of my land as a lay down area for the contractor that installed our rural water distribution system. One inch PEX would likely be sufficient and 1 1/4 would be a sure thing, I have a bladder type pressure tank at the house to help stabilize the water pressure.

Rather than trenching a new trench I thought I could dig down to and cut through the 2 inch line at both ends, let the line drain (sloping path) and then use a powerful shop vac to blow out remaining water. Then use the shop vac to flow a foam plastic ball through the line to pull a light monofilament line through the 2 inch line. Then use the light mono line to pull a more substantial line (lather rinse repeat) until working way up to a very stout rope. Then repurposing a line puller the electricians use to pull wire bundles through conduits, pull the PEX through the 2 inch PVC. I would use plenty of the lube the electricians use to reduce friction when pulling a large wire bundle to make puling the PEX much easier. I can get the lube in a 5 gal container. There are no sharp bends, just gradual smooth curves in the 2 inch line.

Anybody done this or know anyone who has? Practical/impractical? Is it worth a try? I can always give up and run a new trench but I'm not really keen to trench as I have buried electric supply lines and such to dodge and the weather is starting to get on down the road toward winter.