Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pulling PEX water line through a PVC conduit

When I first got out of college, I purchased a Penncrest socket set and box wrench set. (about 1975) They had lifetime warranties too. Just that J. C. Penny completely closed out their tool line a few years later. (around 1980) A wrench broke around 1990 and I tried to get a replacement, the idiots at customer service denied that Penny's ever sold tools. I was so angry at them, I sued in small claims court. The judge looked at me and asked if I was suing over the value of a wrench I could buy at Sears for $3.00. I said yes. The manager of Penney's then tried to tell the Judge that Penny's never sold such tools. She looked mighty embarrassed when I produced the lifetime warranty card that came with the tools and it specifically said J.C Penney would replace any Penncrest tool that was defective or broke for any reason. . I still have the rest of the tools. Judge gave me the judgment for the $3.00, filing fees and an extra $200 under the state's consumer protection laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    No more sears local to me. Lowes will not trade in one tool, full sets only.
    Bil lD

My local Ace will do individual tools, as long as they have them in stock.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    When I first got out of college, I purchased a Penncrest socket set and box wrench set. (about 1975) They had lifetime warranties too. Just that J. C. Penny completely closed out their tool line a few years later. (around 1980) A wrench broke around 1990 and I tried to get a replacement, the idiots at customer service denied that Penny's ever sold tools. I was so angry at them, I sued in small claims court. The judge looked at me and asked if I was suing over the value of a wrench I could buy at Sears for $3.00. I said yes. The manager of Penney's then tried to tell the Judge that Penny's never sold such tools. She looked mighty embarrassed when I produced the lifetime warranty card that came with the tools and it specifically said J.C Penney would replace any Penncrest tool that was defective or broke for any reason. . I still have the rest of the tools. Judge gave me the judgment for the $3.00, filing fees and an extra $200 under the state's consumer protection laws.
    Perry, this is getting a little off topic here, but I'm glad you shared this story & what you did is important. It helps to keep the big guys on their toes.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Might check further on advisability of using PEX underground. I put in 900' of water line some years ago, most of it paid for by the government as part of a soil conservation and livestock program. I hired a plumber to lay the line and make the connections. He really wanted to use PEX. The people in charge of the program would not permit PEX but they didn't say why. PVC was acceptable and recommended. This was direct burial if that makes a difference - maybe PEX in PVC might have been ok.

Off the subject of water but on the topic of trenches, I just dug a 650' trench down the horse pasture to replace a failed direct-burial aluminum electrical power line - I used THWN copper in conduit this time. Took me a couple of days but all is connected and working. Twas a good test of my new toy, er, farm machine. Waiting on a few dry days to fill the last of the trench.

Attachment 420596

JKJ
    john, that’s a nice job on the trench! Your new toyl looks pretty cool too!

I can see where that angling blade will pay off too!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I can see where that angling blade will pay off too!
    My trench is filled now with three layers of dirt with two 6" wide red "Caution buried electrical lines below" tape embedded. I had to wait for the rare dry days between the rain. The angled dozer blade was helpful. Compacting as I went with the trackhoe bucket was also helped. I finally got the horses back in that field so they can't scarf up all the llama's hay.

JKJ