Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workstation monitor

Workstation monitor

Anyone have a recommendation for a decent $500 range, 4k monitor 27"-32" for CAD work.?
    Anyone have one of these BenQ monitors?
    This one is $599. Cdn
    Any opinions?

BenQ DesignVue 27" 4K UHD 60Hz 5ms GTG IPS LCD Monitor (PD2700U) - Black

Blog Entries
    Mark, I don't, but I currently have a 30" & 2, 19" monitors because I work with large plans. But the 30" isn't really big enough, so I'm considering something larger. The problem with 4K monitors is that the pixel pitch is so small that text becomes unreadable & Windows' scaling solution is far from perfect. There are always programs that don't play nice with anything other than the native setting.

I believe that 42" 4K will be just right for me. There are now a few on the market somewhere around the $1000 mark, some less.

My 80" TV has a home theater PC connected to it & it's a great monitor, which TVs generally aren't. That's a little ridiculous though. Or is it...

A little late but check black friday sales for tv's.
    Bil lD

Frank, Thanks, i will look into the pixel pitch problem.
    Bill, i have been looking for a few days, and have seen lots of great deals, just not sure what to choose. Hoping that someone might point me to a particular one that they are happy with.

Blog Entries
    Do a search for large 4K monitor reviews and you'll find lots of good info. They will also explain the pitfalls of using a 4K TV as a monitor. Depending on your needs, a TV may or may not be satisfactory.

I've had the 32" Benq for a couple of years now, not the 4K but whatever the 2560x1440 (double 720P both ways) is called. Very happy with it.

EDIT: just did the math, that resolution works out to about 2.25X the pixel count of full HD...dunno if "2.25K" is a thing or not.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 12-03-2019 at 6:05 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Lee, that's UHD ("ultra high definition")....both of my Dell monitors support that. (27" here in my office and 25" in the shop on my CNC control machine)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Look at the Dell Ultrasharp series. They're around your budget and have a fantastic picture. I have a 30" that I bought about 10 years ago that is still going strong. It is 2550 x 1600 resolution. The newer model is a 32" 4K monitor. They also have 25" and 27" models.

Thanks for the help. I am leaning towards a 32" Benq 4K designer , its a bit more money, but i think its worth it,BenQ PD3200U PD Series 32-Inch Screen, LED-Lit Monitor

• 100-Percent rec. 709 and sRGB color space with IPS technology: brilliant colors and wide viewing angle
    • Dualview function: work in two modes such as sRGB and darkroom mode without the need for two screens
    • Darkroom, cad/cam, and animation display mode: revolutionary modes bring out the details of intricate designs into view
    • Keyboard video mouse (KVM) switch: display contents from two pc systems using one set of keyboard and mouse
    • Eye-Care technology: low blue light and flicker-free technology reduce eye discomfort
    • Brightness: 350 cd/㎡, Native Contrast(typ.): 1000:1, Refresh Rate: 60Hz

71xuQYjADKL._SX679_[1].jpg

Refresh rate seems a little slow???

Hi Tom, am certainly am no expert, but it seems that this is okay for CAD work, its not going to be used for games, which i understand need a higher refresh rate. I really don't know much about them, just from a little reading recently; but this monitor seems to be recommended for Cad work by Solidworks. All a can go on is reading reviews online or recommendations from people who have experience, which is why i posted here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Refresh rate seems a little slow???

A year ago I bought this 32" Dell for my office, paid a whole $140 for it-
    mon.jpg
    it sits about 5" behind the keyboard, so from my point of view it's HUGE, the pics and graphics are great IMO...
    I run Corel, some autocad files, QB, work with photos and the occasional video, but no gaming...

So, what exactly does an additional $620 for the same size monitor buy?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kev, that monitor is "HD" resolution (1920x1080) or the same as a regular HD TV. The setup that the OP wants is 4K resolution which is as much as 4096x2160 pixels.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    ...So, what exactly does an additional $620 for the same size monitor buy?
    Screen real estate. I bought a 1440p monitor (so 2560 x 1440 pixels = 3,608,640 pixels) for about $300 if I recall. Compare that to a full HD monitor (1920 x 1080 pixels = 2,073,600) and I have about 75% more pixels on my screen. Sure, that's great for super crisp pictures, but it also makes a big difference when work on my CAD files. I have more room to drag things around, don't have to constantly scroll as I work on things, and even the menus take up less valuable work space on the screen (maybe not great for those who's eyes aren't quite what they used to be). There are cheaper options out there now, but you get the idea.

That being said, for running my CNC, I have a run-of-the-mill Full HD monitor that I got for dirt cheap. That computer is running a program and displaying a DRO and I don't need a high end monitor for that.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

even tho my 32" is "only" a 1920, I have the res set for 1600x900! - because at 1920 everything "Windows" is so dinky, even at 24" from my eyes, that I can't read half of what's on the screen. "Pixel Pitch" is mentioned above, and that's the problem; While you can fit a lot of stuff you're working on on-screen, and you can zoom in on what you're working on, you can't zoom on anything Windows displays... You CAN adjust Windows text size, but it also enlarges everything ELSE- however, what it doesn't enlarge is your working program's places & spaces where text and graphics fits, so while you can maybe read the enlarged text, you'll find much of it missing. The only way to enlarge EVERYTHING is to reduce the screen resolution.

As to how much real estate would be gained using Corel, if I went from 1920 to 4K,
    here is a shot of my full screen as-is (reduced to 70% of original so as to hopefully avoid the Creek's resizing, at least somewhat)-
    sh1.jpg
    now, there's a lot of working area there, yes?

So if I went to 4K, I'd pick up some sharpness maybe, but as to the working area size, all I would gain would be 50% of the height and width of the perimeter menu area...
    To demonstrate, I simply boxed the 4 edges of menu area individually, and just smushed their short sides to roughly half of original, otherwise pics are identical
    looks funky but it does show the basic gain in working area:
    sh2.jpg
    toggle between them --there's some improvement to be sure, but worth the price? And remember, most everything in the menu area's will be half-sized in all directions, not just the direction I squashed them, which for my old eyes, would be very counterproductive...

As I said, my 32" monitor in the office is HUGE from my point of view, yet I have the resolution lowered just so I can read all the tiny print. If I needed more real estate as working area, it would make more sense for ME to just by a bigger monitor, regardless of it's native resolution...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle