Thread: HELP! - need source/supplier for glass vase tube.

HELP! - need source/supplier for glass vase tube.

Looking for an supplier for getting these glass vase inserts/tubes. (acrylic/plastic is also an option)

Doesn't have to be the exact same dimension but would like to to be close. Can be round or flat bottom but flat is preferred. This one measures:

- outside diameter of 1-1/8" (about 30mm)
    - length 3-18/" (about 80mm)

Tried Amazon but can seem to find only test tubes with threaded caps and not close to the dimensions I am looking for.

Thanks!!
    Ricc Havens

glass vase_tube.jpg
    Last edited by Ricc Havens; 11-29-2019 at 12:34 PM.

If you have a Michael's store near they may have what you need:

https://www.michaels.com/vases/glass-vases/977112569

Several choices available at Craft Supplies USA.
    www.woodturnerscatalog.com

Quote Originally Posted by richard shelby View Post
    If you have a Michael's store near they may have what you need:

https://www.michaels.com/vases/glass-vases/977112569

Thanks Richard, but they didn't have anything close to the size at all.

Quote Originally Posted by William McAloney View Post
    Several choices available at Craft Supplies USA.
    www.woodturnerscatalog.com

Thanks William, but nothing close to the size I am looking for. Either too long or too small. The "large" one is close to the diameter but way too long. the "small is a little small in diameter and still way longer than I can use. I would like 3 to max 3-1/2" their "small" one is 4-3/4" long. I have some of those for another project but won't work for what my wife wants me to make and match something she already has now.

Thanks!!

Ricc, I had a hard time finding anything to fit my vase, so I took PVC pipe that was the appropriate size and capped it off. With the cap on, it was too large for my entry hole. I chucked it into my lathe and turned the cap down a little bit until it fit. Worked out great and only cost me a small amount of change since I already had the pipe on hand. If you go this route, make sure to glue the cap on securely to avoid leaks inside the vessel.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    Ricc, I had a hard time finding anything to fit my vase, so I took PVC pipe that was the appropriate size and capped it off. With the cap on, it was too large for my entry hole. I chucked it into my lathe and turned the cap down a little bit until it fit. Worked out great and only cost me a small amount of change since I already had the pipe on hand. If you go this route, make sure to glue the cap on securely to avoid leaks inside the vessel.

Steve, thanks for the idea. Will keep that in mind if I can't find the clear ones.

The last one I got about that size was from TJ Maxx

If you don't find glass and can live with stainless, Lee Valley has vase inserts close to the size you are looking for.

Edit: I started to look on this site, but the selection was a bit overwhelming. You may find what you are looking for, though.l

https://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin11d.html
    Last edited by Grant Wilkinson; 11-29-2019 at 9:22 PM.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Re: material and length, I have used glass in the past but recently settled on plastic... In part because of safety, but primarily because I can easily cut the plastic flush to the top of the vase using the point of a sharp skew chisel... Just sayin'

73 Ely

Charles - thanks I will check TJ Maxx out next time I am near one.

Grant - the Lee Valley ones look nice just wish they were less costly. I'll keep that bookmarked in case I can't find ones less expensive. You are correct that the SKS website is overwhelming!

Ely - good idea. I may buy some plastic ones and try it.

Try looking for straight wall shooter containers. Here are some in glass...and some in plastic.
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 11-30-2019 at 8:59 PM.

When I made a vase that I wanted to hold water I bought a plexiglass tube. To seal one end I used a chunk of 3/4" flat plexiglass I got off ebay. I just used a hole saw that was about the same size as the tube and to cut a round slug. I then chucked it in my lathe and turned part of it down so it would snugly fit into the tube then glued it. It's inside a vase and not visible so I didn't spend much time bothering getting a clear glue but I'm sure that I could have made it look much nicer if it was visible.

Finally found some. Here is a link if anyone else is interested. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

THANKS everyone for the ideas and assistance.!!

Ricc

Olive bottles sometimes are tall and skinny