Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aprons

Aprons

I see a lot of people wearing these heavy-duty aprons on various youtube, FWW, etc things. Do folks here where them, and to what benefit? I can't figure out why I'd want to put one on, but maybe it's an 'I don't know what I don't know' thing.

I've always used them when there is a lot of gluing to be done. When we use the Weld Wood plastic resin stuff it's pretty
    thinly mixed and can drip. It doesn't just stain, it makes clothing break and leave holes.

I used to wear a denim one when gluing and finishing, until one of my dogs chewed it up (she is cute, but not very bright). In general I didn't like wearing it because it was kind of heavy on my back. I remember doing some kind of cross thing with the straps to even out the weight. I probably should get another one, I always seem to get glue or stain/varnish on my shirt.

Josko,

As the others have pointed out they are good for keeping glue and finishes off your clothes, I still forget often enough most of my good clothes end up as work clothes pretty quickly. The other thing my leather ones are good for is sharpening, a leather apron and my belly make a great strop when chasing the burr. I haven't thought about it but my guess is I use an apron more than not. It is also a great preventive from MsBubba's evil eye, "see kiddo, I've the apron over that new shirt you bought me the other day".

ken

I had a Veritas one...great apron, but I found that I still got tons of dust on my.

Currently, I use spare white coats.
    Sometimes, I get ink on them and can't use them at my dental office.

Blog Entries
    My apron was retired long ago. It seems easier to have separate clothes for working in the garden and shop and the nicer clothes for going in to town.

Like Andrew mentioned, it felt like an extra, unneeded weight.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I had bought 3 different aprons over time, looking for the perfect one for me. I finally decided that the perfect apron for most work was no apron at all. I do use my tan Veritas apron for glue-up and for finishing, but otherwise I’m happier without one.

Blog Entries
    I feel naked without my apron when in the shop, & no one wants that . I use one from Lee Valley & it's not perfect, but it keeps me much cleaner & has places to hold stuff that I always need at hand. It's also very comfortable & takes less than 5 seconds to put on. I often go into the the shop for just a short time & don't want to have to change my clothes to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I feel naked without my apron when in the shop, & no one wants that . I use one from Lee Valley & it's not perfect, but it keeps me much cleaner & has places to hold stuff that I always need at hand. It's also very comfortable & takes less than 5 seconds to put on. I often go into the the shop for just a short time & don't want to have to change my clothes to do that.
    I don't know, Frank, I think you're onto something.
    I've always found it's easier to work wood naked.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    I don't know, Frank, I think you're onto something.
    I've always found it's easier to work wood naked.
    Just what kind of wood are you talking about here?

I'll just see myself out.

I have a Duluth apron. I like the cross straps and it is comfortable. My wife wishes I would wear it more regularly.

I don’t wear a apron. Because I don’t want to look like one of those Utube dorks. Teaching how to make jigs and fixtures that no one really needs.
    Aj

When I remember to put mine on....something called "Bucket Boss Originals" padded shoulder straps...heavy duty ( not weighty, though) cotton duck.....Almost like it was made by Carharts....

IF I am sitting at the bench, doing a lot of chisel work....I can use the apron on my leg, as a quick strop.....

As for how I look? I'm in a single person wood shop, without a mirror....why should I care what it looks like.....I do throw it in the washer, from time to time...just so it won't run away....

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I've always used them when there is a lot of gluing to be done. When we use the Weld Wood plastic resin stuff it's pretty
    thinly mixed and can drip. It doesn't just stain, it makes clothing break and leave holes.
    I bought few cheap t-shirts for similar purpose (like 5 for $10-15), while staining. Loved the idea and they are my default t-shirts while working. I wipe glue, stain or whatever on them. They go through 5-6 wash and get ruined. If I don't wipe glue they last longer.