Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aprons

Went through a phase with lots of table saw kick backs and always wore a thick leather apron, it saved me some grief. Regular woodwork I have an abundance of old clothes that just get older, sort of urban camo. Wear the really old stuff when I buy wood from sawmills, get a better price, the old guys in the sawmills have me beat though!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

My wife made me a few denim aprons wth pockets for pencils and measuring tape. I generally wear one in the shop to keep dust, stains etc off clothes, even though I wear old clothes working in the shop. It may be because the shop is in the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    I had bought 3 different aprons over time, looking for the perfect one for me. I finally decided that the perfect apron for most work was no apron at all. I do use my tan Veritas apron for glue-up and for finishing, but otherwise I’m happier without one.
    I had the same experience Greg. I WANTED to like the apron because of the coverage and the pockets. But I couldn't find one that suited me.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

There is a reason to have and wear a good leather shop apron. This one has followed me around for a few years. I also have one from LN but like this one better.

shopApron.jpg

ken

Nothing in the shop says "Quitting Time!" like the act of hanging your apron up......

After ruining a couple of shirts and suffering a (minor) burn, SWMBO picked up some leather from our local Tandy and made me a very nice apron for use when grinding and/or hardening steel. I also use it when turning, 'cause so many chips and curls stick on and into my clothes. And like others, I use it for larger glue-ups and finishing. Otherwise, it's my carefully cultivated "little tramp" look. Except the "little" part. Someday I'll lose some weight!

And SWMBO made a smaller one in denim for my "apprentice."

161229Apprentice.jpg
    Click it to big it.

She's grown a bit and it fits better now. Won't last too much longer, though.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    After ruining a couple of shirts and suffering a (minor) burn, SWMBO picked up some leather from our local Tandy and made me a very nice apron for use when grinding and/or hardening steel. I also use it when turning, 'cause so many chips and curls stick on and into my clothes. And like others, I use it for larger glue-ups and finishing. Otherwise, it's my carefully cultivated "little tramp" look. Except the "little" part. Someday I'll lose some weight!

And SWMBO made a smaller one in denim for my "apprentice."

161229Apprentice.jpg
    Click it to big it.

She's grown a bit and it fits better now. Won't last too much longer, though.
    James,

Brings a smile, what a cutey.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    I don't know, Frank, I think you're onto something.
    I've always found it's easier to work wood naked.
    You must not be planing and sawing on the pull stroke, yowza!

Blog Entries
    Just a tool belt would hold me away from my work enough, but mine would require strong suspenders. I can't even keep my pants up all the way.
    Lost 40-50 pounds over the past couple of years.
    But for some reason I have always had that problem.
    Not a big enough butt, I suppose.

I'm thinking about buying some railroad bib overalls. I was born to 3 generations of railroad engineers.
    Why didn't I make it 4? Colorblind.

I like having those pockets in front of me to hold the tools I will need to use often, that I otherwise forget where I put them down - tape measure, safety glasses, pencil, square, etc.. But also have ruined a lot of t=shirts and sweatshirts with little dots of glue or finish that somehow got past all my carefulness.

Done for today....
    Shaker Table Project, hang up the apron.JPG
    Hang the apron up, close up shop...

Blog Entries
    My leather apron fell into a puddle and got soaked, which caused it to rot. (Working in an outdoor shed and it fell off a bench and I wasn’t aware- it sat overnight.) I loved that apron. It had chest pockets and hip pockets with flaps that kept out sawdust. My 6” square fit in the top pocket and was always handy. The leather offered protection and was actually much cooler to wear than denim. Denim aprons clung to me and kept in body heat. The leather let air flow under it and was more comfortable.

I am am awaiting a shipment of veg tanned leather for a new apron. I made a tracing of the old one and will add some improvements to the new one. I plan to have a strap around the belly for hanging rags, and a pocket custom fit for my 6” combo square. I may even have a loop to stick a 12” square through.

Aside: I noticed LV has a nice looking canvas apron on sale today for about $23 - it's usually $40.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”