Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why don't people buy Panel Saws

I have the yard or store where I buy the plywood cut the sheet to rough dimensiona to let it fit in my vehicles. (Most BORGs and yards have a panel saw.)
    I used to do that also - - but - - the lots where I buy my good plywood - not the junk the borg sells - don't have any saws to cut down the sheets.
    I tried to come up with some way to use my Festool saw, but, it was too expensive to buy a decent generator - plus those are too bulky & take up too much room in the compact & sub compact SUV.

When Home Depot had a great deal on the cordless Makita a couple/three years ago - I jumped all over it.
    Made the change from DeWalt to Makita cordless tools also.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I never have because a panel saw does one thing, a slider saw does many. If your work is exclusively sheet goods, probably a good tool, but who's is?

Like others have said. It's a space thing. Someone offered to give me a panel saw five years ago but I politely declined because I just don't have the wall space for it.

Fred
    Will get some pics and post in a day or so.
    Rob

I think we need to differentiate between a circular saw on a metal frame and a proper panel saw. The ones I've worked with will break down a sheet into rectangular parts faster than anything but beam saw. They'll do repeated rips at any width, cut up to 3 ¾ sheets at once, and are almost impossible to get an out of square cut from. They're also much safer than almost any table saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Rob,
    Any chance you could post a picture of that sometime? That's a clever idea!
    Thanks.
    Fred
    +1

I would love to see that. I've been thinking of the same thing to use the area around my panel saw. The horizontal floor space it requires is huge if you want to do rip cuts, but there is a lot to be said to now having to manhandle full sheets of plywood onto a table saw.

I do use mine a bunch, but it has taken away serious real estate from, among other things, lumber storage.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    what is this? is it missing a saw?
    Bill D.

https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/t...023524135.html
    My guess is an Evans Countertop saw. Looks to be missing the motor and saw arbor...

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I think we need to differentiate between a circular saw on a metal frame and a proper panel saw. The ones I've worked with will break down a sheet into rectangular parts faster than anything but beam saw. They'll do repeated rips at any width, cut up to 3 ¾ sheets at once, and are almost impossible to get an out of square cut from. They're also much safer than almost any table saw.
    Quite true.... very different beasts! I worked with a Striebig at a shop many years ago and it was a joy to use. Really much more friendly to break down sheet goods IMHO as you don't have to hoist them up onto a slider. I also owned a SawTrax "panel saw" for a couple years and can say it was a complete piece of garbage not really worth the money. Could never dial it in to get an accurate cut consistently. But generally speaking once you get used to using quality machines going the other way is difficult.

Although I've always had the thought in the back of my mind, I've just never come across the right deal for a good quality panel saw. Also it would be difficult to squeeze into my shop.... though if there's a will, there's a way! The biggest hurdle is the price. As of maybe 10 years ago or so the least expensive entry model Streibig was around $25k. Now add to that delivery and setup, as these machine do need to be setup by someone who knows what they're doing, (you can't, or at least shouldn't just drop it in place and start cutting), and your getting close to $30k for an entry level machine with one job. That's a steep entry fee for many guys. A really good quality used slider you can find pretty easily under $10k.

JeffD

Blog Entries
    Or you can make a panel for your skil saw with an 18" wide x 86" or 72" x 1/2" thk plywood. Nail or screw a 1x4 to the center of the
    resulting piece. Then rip the edges with the skil saw. Clamp the the piece to a sheet of plywood and rip away.

Lots of interesting points of view. I purchased my panel saw about 18 years ago, as I recall it was about $1,200.00 at the time. Not exactly a precision machine but it stays within 1/32" which is close enough for the work I do in my shop. Originally I had a 3 year cabinet project for a local school system so the panel saw paid for itself in no time. When I started making commercial signs using 12 foot long Corian sheets the panel saw once again became a must have tool. I often have lots of junk and at least one workbench in front of my panel saw BUT its not much of a chore to move everything out of the way so I can break down sheets the easy way.

Thought this looked intriguing. Also available with the Makita track saw.

https://www.makxilia.biz/en/woodwork...cut-16x32.html

The link explains its capabilities

"For cutting panels either in vertical or in horizontal, made of:
    - Chipboard
    - Ennobled chipboard
    - Multilayer
    - Massive wood
    - MDF
    - Plexiglas
    - Polycarbonate
    - Plastic materials
    - Corian, etc…"

Ennobled chipboard and massive wood- what's not to like?

Legno massiccio = Solid wood.

Translation from Italian there is a bit awkward..

Sample filled cabinet

As requested, simple fill-in cabinets for the panelsaw.

The panelsaw is secured to the wall with hd angle brackets, two top and two bottom. The cabinets were installed after the panelsaw was secured to the wall.

The cabinet frames are made of two 3/4" plywood sandwiched together for the vertical frame portion that are pocket hole screwed to the wall that are located directly behind the vertical rails of the panelsaw. Horizontal shelves are installed level with the horizontal frame of the panelsaw.

Smaller sections have single shelf, larger sections have multiple shelves.

A separate 1x2 face frame with grooves for the sliding doors that are installed within the frame of the panelsaw.

The sliding doors are made of hardboard with black chalk paint so I can make notes as needed when cutting multiple panels. The have finger holes for opening and closing, as handles would get in the way of the sliding plywood being cut.

I added two 30"x30"x9" cabinets at the top two sides.

WORK8397sm.JPG

WORK8398sm.JPG

WORK8399sm.JPG

That is a dynamite setup, Rob!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...