Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for refrigerator magnets? (Without turning them)

Ideas for refrigerator magnets? (Without turning them)

I know this is not exactly the pinnacle of fine woodworking. Bear with me. A guy I work with (an engineer) was asked by his wife to find some strong magnets to hold stuff on their fridge. Like any good engineer he procured a big box of neodymium magnets and considered the problem solved. The next day he comes in confused and says "She says I need to get pretty magnets". He is confounded by the request because he considers the task fulfilled. I said "this is why you are an engineer and I am a project manager. Give me your magnets. I'll fix it."

I have a lathe but I have never really liked turning. I haven't used it in about ten years. I opened my toolbox and my turning tools all need to be re-ground
    and the jaws are in pieces. I would have to learn basic turning again and I dont really have time or inclination for that this weekend.

Does anyone have any good ideas I can use to make some attractive fridge magnets?

Glue on some pretty buttons or drawer knobs. Hot glue is your friend here.
    Bil lD

Inexpensive chess pieces. Cheap, easy, and gives her leverage needed to move the magnets.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Sneak one away to the workshop and stick it to a pencil parer.

Blog Entries
    My first step would be to check the refrigerator and insure the door isn't stainless steel where the magnets may not stick. Then I would consider making small signs with cute sayings, hearts, trees, etc with a jig saw or really fine bandsaw. Embed the magnets in the back, do some finishing and you are done.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Günter VögelBerg View Post
    Like any good engineer he procured a big box of neodymium magnets and considered the problem solved. The next day he comes in confused and says "She says I need to get pretty magnets". He is confounded by the request because he considers the task fulfilled. I said "this is why you are an engineer and I am a project manager. Give me your magnets. I'll fix it."
    Gunter, my reply has nothing to do with your question Sir. But your description of his plight was so funny that I spit coffee all over my monitor! Thanks for the laugh!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    I've used inexpensive wooden draw knobs painted bright colors. I counter sink the magnets a bit. I like the chess piece idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Glue on some pretty buttons or drawer knobs. Hot glue is your friend here.
    Bil lD
    I think you would be better served by a dab or two of epoxy. Neodymium magnets are very strong and you only want to do this once.

I should add that my intent was to make them out of wood.

You can mount the magnets to nearly anything and this is a great opportunity to use scrap/shorts to create cute, artsy and whimsical "covers" for the raw magnets. "The sky is the limit" relative to creativity and complexity, honestly. You could even do simple shapes and paint them in colors or designs...how about a 'fridge tick/tack/toe" set? Colored blocks that match the old child's match the shape with the hole toy? Etc. You can apply clippings, fabric, objects like buttons as someone mentioned, anything...to the wood.

You can also decide if you want a slight recess in the back for the magnets to aid in gluing...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Agree with Jim, perfect opportunity to go outside the norm and have some fun with it. Keeping with the season you could use some holiday cookie cutters as templates and cut them on the router table. Possibilities really are endless. Bansaw or scroll saw project?

How about wood "cookies" ? They look nice and would be super easy. I'd use epoxy whatever you choose to do. Also, sand the chrome plating off because it'll give way later on.

Blog Entries
    They sell magnetic tape with an adhesive back.

Not sure where you are, (plug for adding location to your info!) but maybe check at a craft store for "wooden" things. Then put your magnet on/in it and your good to go.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Make a few dominoes, or sacrifice some purchased ones.

Strong magnets are almost impossible to pull off a good piece of steel, and they can damage a painted surface. Some stainless is magnetic, including our fridge, though not so strong as plain steel. Make them easy to grip and wax the face that goes against the fridge to reduce scuffing.
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 12-05-2019 at 5:58 AM.