Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas for refrigerator magnets? (Without turning them)

I like the look, feel and shape of shaker knobs, so I made some of these for refrigerator magnets. I used a forstner to drill a recess in the bottom for the magnet, which I glued in with epoxy. I made the knobs on my lathe, but they are widely available to purchase. You could cut off the tenon they usually have, drill your recess, glue in the magnet, done. Ought to take just a few minutes each. The only somewhat tricky part might be holding them for the drilling (I drilled first while the blanks were square). I remember seeing a tip somewhere to make a custom holder out of two pieces of 2 x 4 joined by a hinge, with a cutout for the thing to be drilled. THe length of the 2x4s gives you leverage for a good grip.

I still like the ones I made and use them on a daily basis. I used cherry and finished with shellac. It was a neat small useful project.

Also, this way it can be wood, and a matching set if that might matter to the giftee.

Ken

Gunter.... I have made quite a few fridge magnets with scraps... I glue them together and shape them by hand (the letters were done with a scroll saw) .... something you might consider..

CAM00767.jpg

Cool idea.
    I was just going to mention we need to see some pictures of everyones Frig magnets