Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ooops

Ooops

Was trying to use one of my Jack planes the other day....after about 2-3 swipes, it just stopped cutting....then, while reaching over to get another jack plane out...#1 decided it wanted to slide off the bench, and onto the floor....33" away....landed right on the.....rear handle. Snapped it into 3....

Plopped it back onto the bench. Had a spare already to go..
    Millers Falls No. 14, oops.JPG
    Both are Millers Falls No. 14s....broken one is a Type 3, the other is a Type 2. Got to looking....trying to find out why the plane quit..
    Millers Falls No.14, fouled iron.JPG
    Hmmm, could be?
    Millers Falls No. 14, loaded chipbreaker.JPG
    Only thing broken was the rear handle...I can now use it's parts, though. At least until a type 3 rear handle shows up. Will have to rehab the chipbreaker, to match the iron.

I had been using the type 2, decided to try the #3 out....oh well...Plane was a $0.50 yard sale find, anyway.

Snapped in 3! Sorry to hear that. Hope you find a replacement at a reasonable price.
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

Blog Entries
    https://live.staticflickr.com/5217/5...7e5f54b2_b.jpg

Google "handplane totes" and see what comes up.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 11-29-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Lowell, every time you post one of these search links, clicking on it just goes to a blank search page. I guess they call it HideMySearch for a reason! We all know how to search the internet-why not just post the link to the actual (non-search engine) site that has the info you found interesting?

Blog Entries
    I did not realize it was not showing the image.

Steven,

Did you find all the pieces to where you can glue them up and restore the tote?

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I did not realize it was not showing the image.
    No, at least it doesn’t for me. A Google search result would probably work but this is all I ever see if I click on one of your search links.9C7FDF5D-3C2E-4959-9536-30B604A0E515.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    No, at least it doesn’t for me. A Google search result would probably work but this is all I ever see if I click on one of your search links.9C7FDF5D-3C2E-4959-9536-30B604A0E515.jpg
    That's all I see too.

The horn is missing...

Instead of the Giancolo....Millers Falls used a local hardwood, during WW2. They also used a one piece bolt, maybe with a washer under the head..instead of brass, they used Blued Steel. Handles are drilled a bit different, too.

So far, the only damage found was to the rear handle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    I see an image when I click on the link. It must be your computer or settings Greg.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I see an image when I click on the link. It must be your computer or settings Greg.
    Lowell went back and edited his original post and changed it to a link to the image instead of the original HideMySearches link.

Blog Entries
    I have a hand plane with a broken tote. I cut both sides of the break and glued a a piece of cypress in the break. I now have a plane
    with a racing stripe.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have a hand plane with a broken tote. I cut both sides of the break and glued a a piece of cypress in the break. I now have a plane
    with a racing stripe.
    Lowell, I'm sure you know how this works...without pics it didn't happen! ;0)

Broken tote?
    broken tote.JPG
    And, when I am allowed to work in the shop, again...
    broken tote, spare tote.JPG
    I can shape & shave this spare down to match...

Have straightened out the bent bolt. May slice off a chunk from the spare tote, and form the top horn. Have the main two chunks glued up, sitting in the vise while the glue dries. Spare wasn't all that great, too clunky...but, it can provide a chunk to re-do the missing horn. Then shape it to match what used to be there...

Bolt is a one piece, blued steel flat head bolt. Handle was drilled to fit THAT style of bolt by Millers Falls.