Thread: Highlighting a Growth Ring

Highlighting a Growth Ring

(I’m new here, so apologies if this isn’t the right place for this topic)

I have a wedge of a witness tree from Gettysburg (white oak I think) that I’d like to turn into something tbd ( I was thinking bookends). I’d like to highlight the growth ring from the year of the battle, I was wondering if anyone had an idea how to do this.

Would work for to draw that ring with a fine tip felt-tip pen? It’d require a very steady hand.

Try this on a different piece first. Brush molten candle wax around the ring, then scrape the wax off the ring in question with a small chisel held vertically. Apply stain, the wax should stop it spreading. Plane the wax off with a block plane or low angle something.
    I think I would just do a section of the ring, that is all you need really.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

I would find someone with a laser engraver to make a small brass/bronze label that simply said Battle of Gettysburg, July 1-3 1863...with a nicely styled arrow/pointer. Inset the label at the perimeter of the wedge at a place where the arrow points to the correct ring. The viewer's eyes can then follow the ring around the wedge, without obscuring the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    I would find someone with a laser engraver to make a small brass/bronze label that simply said Battle of Gettysburg, July 1-3 1863...with a nicely styled arrow/pointer. Inset the label at the perimeter of the wedge at a place where the arrow points to the correct ring. The viewer's eyes can then follow the ring around the wedge, without obscuring the ring.
    I like that idea!