Thread: Unisaw needs new fence

Unisaw needs new fence

My 1968? delta unisaw has a fence on it with 2 round bars, a small crank adjuster and a camlok assembly. Assume this is original equipment. Can't keep it square to the blade, have to double check every time the fence is moved. See a delta replacement fence on Amazon, have looked at biesmeyer etc., Anybody have any experience with replacement fences? All seem to have good and bad reviews, more I look the more confused I become. Thanks in advance for your advice.

I replaced the same OE fence as on yours with a Vega Pro fence on my 1954 Uni about 10 years ago. I think I've had to realign it once. Very easy to slide, easy to use micro adjuster, fence locks tight to the rail with low effort, and very rigid. I'd buy it again w/o hesitation.

John

A Biesmeyer or any of the clones of this fence would be a huge upgrade. A Unifence if you can find one is my personal favorite.These are the two that I have experience with and each has strong points. The Unifence has a little more finesse with the option of high or low fence and the ability to slide the fence rail forward or back,mine also has a 12'' piece that was factory to use as a stop,this was awesome with a crosscut box. The' bies' or clones are real simple and sturdy,they perform well even with "ham handed" people operating them,perfect for lumber yards and those type of applications. They are also very accurate solid performers. Both of these fences attach only to the front rail which seems to be the best way to prevent movement when they are locked down.

Pricey, but I like the VSCT bies clone. Also a very big fan of the unifence,but they are hard to find.

I have a Sawstop rails and Beismeyer fence I'm not using. Too big to ship, if you have any interest I'm near Nashville TN.

Location? Shipping will be costly especially cross ocean. How will Brexit afffect the shipping costs to you?
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Location? Shipping will be costly especially cross ocean. How will Brexit afffect the shipping costs to you?
    Bill D.
    You've got me on this one, I've read the original post 5 times and I see no reference to the OP's location....

Really confused here as well,on about three different levels at once.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I have a Sawstop rails and Beismeyer fence I'm not using. Too big to ship, if you have any interest I'm near Nashville TN.

Ships on the bus with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Really confused here as well,on about three different levels at once.

I guessed form his last name that he is in England. No other info was provided. I notice the two who responded are on North America so maybe they think the Op is also. I do not think busses go over the oceans.
    For New Zealand all mail is airmail so very expensive package shipping in or out.
    Bill D.
    Modesto, California USA
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 11-29-2019 at 10:53 PM.

Based on IP address, the OP is in Washington State, USA.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Shop Fox Classic on my Powermatic 65; it's just as good as an original Biesmeyer as far as I can tell, and I can recommend it. The current Biesmeyers made in China for Delta get horrible reviews and probably should be avoided. If you can find a good older Bies, or a Unifence you should be good to go.

I, too, put a Vega Pro on my ‘48 Unisaw, probably 20 yrs ago. That saw is now with a very experienced pro who is very satisfied with it.

Thanks everybody, looks like the vcts product probably has the best quality. More work, fabrication than i was hoping for but I,ve got the time. Thanks again!