Thread: Using a woodworking bandsaw to cut ice blocks

Using a woodworking bandsaw to cut ice blocks

A friend of mind has asked if he could use my bandsaw to cut ice blocks.

My gut reaction is "no".

Does anyone here have any experience with using a bandsaw to cut ice?

Blog Entries
    I suppose there are worse things to do with a saw, but i'd certainly say no. There is too much stuff in a woodworking band saw that can rust and it probably wouldn't be safe either, because of all the water that's going to go everywhere.

It’s a terrible idea. Similar to using it to cut meat. chips will go everywhere, like you’re spraying your saw with a hose, and it’ll rust.

I once sold a bandsaw to a jewelry artist who cut soapstone. He apparently devised some sort of water sprayer to keep the blade cool. I asked him how he kept the machine from rusting. His reply: "I don't".

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Thanks for the feedback.

He'll have to purchase his own bandsaw to ruin.

:-)

Tell him to make friends with a butcher.
    Dan

I've used water spray to turn my wood bandsaw into a metal cutting bandsaw. Just wipe it down and blow it dry afterwards.

Move the bandsaw outside (if it is below freezing) the night before (so the saw can equilibrate), and clean the ice chips off before they melt.

Then WD-40..... (Water Displacement formula, 40th attempt).

A few months ago I saw a Jet 18" bandsaw on FB marketplace that was used for specifically cutting ice. They had laminated a stainless steel top over the cast iron top, and they wiped everything down after each use. It looked in great shape really. Not sure what they used for a blade though.

So people definitely do it. I'd just make sure it's dedicated to that specific purpose.

I often see meat cutting band saws on craig's list. They usually don't sell for a lot of money. But they are made to be washed. If he's only got a couple to do then a chainsaw will work.

Tell him to go buy a new electric chain saw. That's what ice carvers use.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I often see meat cutting band saws on craig's list. They usually don't sell for a lot of money. But they are made to be washed. If he's only got a couple to do then a chainsaw will work.
    Northern Tool sells a cheap meat bandsaw, or used to. I bought one once for a friend.

JKJ