Thread: Repairing a scratch in a Waterlox finished piece

Repairing a scratch in a Waterlox finished piece

I have an ash grandfather clock recently finished using Waterlox Original Finish. The ash was stained with a walnut stain. The case was scratched while being moved. The scratch did not penetrate through the walnut stain. But the scratch can be seen. I would like to know how to remove the scratch and have a nice smooth finish on the clock. Thanks.

One nice thing about Waterlox is that it repairs easily. I would lightly sand with 220 grit (by hand) then reapply a coat of Waterlox.

Quote Originally Posted by James Spillman View Post
    I have an ash grandfather clock recently finished using Waterlox Original Finish. The ash was stained with a walnut stain. The case was scratched while being moved. The scratch did not penetrate through the walnut stain. But the scratch can be seen. I would like to know how to remove the scratch and have a nice smooth finish on the clock. Thanks.
    Wipe it off with paint thinner or naphtha and see if the spot disappears with the exception of the indentation. If it does lay it with the scratch up and brush some waterlox on the scratch with a small artist brush. Keep applying coats until you think the indentation is filled. Then with a block of wood or a hard rubber sanding block sand it level and continue to sand the entire area. Then put a coat over the whole area.

Id use a crayon that matched the color to fill the scratch, spray some wax wash (from Mohawk finishes) on a clean towel clean the area, mohawk finish makes a aerosol spry both water base and laquer with the various sheens can you lightly (very lightly) spray touching up the repair