Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is clamping entirely necessary?

Is clamping entirely necessary?

I'm working on some frames for some small step-stools. These are simply made from 1x2" poplar with 6x30 dominos at the joints. The steps that I'll be adding later will be small 1" thick (a true 1") pieces of elm from a tree I had milled a couple years ago.

I realize I could buy some CA glue (or devise another option) to temporarily glue on some small angled pieces to the sides so that I could properly affix clamps to this assembly while the glue sets, but rather than going that far, I'm curious what thoughts people on this forum have about simply forgoing clamping all together.

For what it is worth, the dominos are very tight on both sides of each joint, I'm using titebond III, and when I push the parts together, they fit together nice and snug.

Would clamping this up during the glue up really make this a substantially stronger joint, or not?

IMG_7452.jpg

IMG_7453.jpg

IMG_7454.jpg

My favorite answer, hot hide glue. Push it together, hold it for about 30 seconds, and done.

Blog Entries
    Traditional mortise and tenon with draw bores.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

You don't necessarily need to clamp with huge force, but you'll get more consistent results if you can get a clamp on to insure things are pulled together tightly. Painter's tape can be used for some smaller work to do that when shapes are more difficult. A "modern" variant to what Brian suggests is to pull them together tightly, perhaps with a combination of your hand and tape and then shoot one or more 23 gage pins through the tenons. (and I do count Dominos as that) I would not do this for big heavy things but it may be effective for a face frame. (Honestly for face frames, i use pocket screws on the backside...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Clamping will always give you a better joint. You can use double sided tape to hold your blocks in place.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

For stuff like this, a ratchet strap or some blocks strategically tacked to a flat piece of scrap and some wedges will snug it up nicely.
    JR

Yes plan on clamping.
    When you add glue the joints will probably need more then your hand pressure to close.
    I use dominos a lot I had the same thoughts as you.
    So don’t mess this up your almost there.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Traditional mortise and tenon with draw bores.
    I have used dominos with drawbores as well. No need for clamps in that case as the drawbore pulls the joint together tight and keeps it tight even if the glue should later fail. 30mm is probably too short for this, however.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Clamping is always a good idea but sometimes it's problematic. The important thing is the joint be held together as snug as possible even if tape is all you can get to work.

I often use elastic bands for small glue ups with shapes that are hard to clamp, for bigger glue ups sometimes bungee cords can be useful, maybe a staple or finishing nail to prevent it from sliding out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I often use elastic bands for small glue ups with shapes that are hard to clamp, for bigger glue ups sometimes bungee cords can be useful, maybe a staple or finishing nail to prevent it from sliding out of place.
    I use surgical tubing. Works great. Wrap it and tuck it under one of the tight runs and walk away.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I agree about the surgical tubing as a great method. To apply more force, just use more wraps. The one thing to watch out for is squeeze out that contacts the tubing: it can stick.

Black electrical tape! Pull and stretch it tight and it clamps pretty tight. Works well where sometimes you just can't get a clamp on it.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Looks like you could flip one side end-for-end and clamp them both with a couple bar clamps.

If you want a tight stable joint, yes or like Brian H said, draw bore..