Thread: Dial indicator tips...

Dial indicator tips...

I need Flat tips for a couple of dial indicators used to set up my jointer and planer. I looked in local stores and the only place that had them ,it was $60 for a carbide flat tip. This is more than I paid for one of my indicators. Next I went online and found the $7-10 ,22 piece sets. Perfect,then figured out there are metric threads and 4-48 threads. I have a Mitouyo gauge and a cheap one have no idea which thread type to order. Leaning toward the metric threads can anyone help me here ? Any other sources for tips ?

Take the indicator to an Ace, or other hardware store, and see what thread size fits.

This dial indicator tip set is listed as having #4-48 thread size to fit most standard dial indicators. They may work for your application.
    David

https://www.amazon.com/Piece-Electronic-Indicator-Set-inch-Thread/dp/B06XW6K7HH/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=dial+indicator+tips&qid=157482 5170&sr=8-1

Dial Indicator Point Set.jpg

Maybe the tips made for the "A Line It" deluxe kit will fit? You could then get their upgrade package.

- though you probably don't need the rest of what's in there, and it seems a bit expensive for what you get.
    Still, it might be worth a look.

I just ordered a deluxe kit, so I can tell you what the threading is in a few days, if you need.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 11-26-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    McMaster sells them.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

David the set you posted is what I am looking at. I found the 4-48 threads and metric m2.5 ( I think). Maybe I will just order both,that is still cheaper in the long run.

Brian thanks for the Mcmaster suggestion. I just looked there and the vast majority are 4-48 threads so I will order that size .

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    This dial indicator tip set is listed as having #4-48 thread size to fit most standard dial indicators. They may work for your application.
    David

https://www.amazon.com/Piece-Electronic-Indicator-Set-inch-Thread/dp/B06XW6K7HH/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=dial+indicator+tips&qid=157482 5170&sr=8-1

Dial Indicator Point Set.jpg

I bought this. It does basically work, but the quality is truly laughable. Also the broadest tip is only like 1/4", which is big enough but 3/8" would be nicer. I would just get one decent quality convex tip from McMaster.

Harbor Freight dial indicator is 4-48 thread.
    Found tips online
    Shipping cost more than the tips

Button tip is ticket for setting jointer knives. Pass on the flat one
    Aj

Blog Entries
    When I wanted tips, I found a Starrett set on ebay for cheap. It's that set where you get this ring with all the tips screwed into it. I think I paid $20 about 10 years ago. The one I use most is that one that looks like a trumpet bell.

2ZUJ3_AS01.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    When I wanted tips, I found a Starrett set on ebay for cheap. It's that set where you get this ring with all the tips screwed into it. I think I paid $20 about 10 years ago. The one I use most is that one that looks like a trumpet bell.

2ZUJ3_AS01.jpg
    That was a great price. That set is usually much higher, closer to $150. I have some Starrett points and the quality is excellent. Someone looking for these tips might search for dial indicator contact points.. Don't get dial test indicator points!

Remove the tip, and use end of DI to set blades. KISS!