Thread: How cold is too cold to finish in a garage

How cold is too cold to finish in a garage

I'm in the final steps of finishing cabinet doors. I'm padding on Waterlox as a final coats - Original and then the Satin (if it matters). I thought I read somewhere that it doesn't cure properly below 60* F. I'm working in my garage and it doesn't look like it's going to be above 55 for the foreseeable future. I'm thinking of using a space heater to heat the garage, then turn it off and do my work until it dries. Is there any additional combustion/explosion risks if doing this? I guess I should also ask if I'm being overly concerned about the temp too?

Thanks so much for all the info learned here.

No, you are not being overly concerned about the temperature. You should always follow manufacturers instructions, which should be on the can and will probably be on their website. Yes, you are being too concerned about using a space heater in your garage, especially if it is electric. If you are using a propane space heater, you should be more worried about oxygen depletion and carbon monoxide poisoning than explosions and if you use a fair level of caution and common sense, you shouldn't worry about that either.

I've used Waterlox for about 10 years and mainly wipe it on. I work in the colder months and would heat my garage to 60, turn the heater off and apply the finish, then leave heater off overnight. It will take longer to dry when cold, but with wiping, overnight is fine. Now once it's done I would get it out of the cold garage and into a house while it cures which will take a good 30 days. I've never a problem doing it this way.