Thread: What type of screws to join face frames of my new cabinets

What type of screws to join face frames of my new cabinets

We are doing a kitchen remodel this winter. The cabinets were delivered yesterday. The face frames and doors are made of solid alder. They are Kraft maid if it matters. One of them had a split in the face frame where one of the pocket hole screws inserted. I was able to fix that but the alder is pretty soft. I actually caused a bit more of a split when I used a slightly longer pocket screw.

When I join the face frames together, I'm not sure if a regular trim head screw would be okay, or if I should use a cabinet screw and leave the head exposed. Either way I will pre-drill them. Also, the frames are 1.5" so should I use a 2" or 2.5" screw?

We had Kraft Maid cabinets installed last year and HD had Kraft Maid replace each defective door etc with out even making me bring it to the store for proof of defect.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

If you are talking about joining the cabinets together at the face frames, then trim head screws work fine; that's what I use. I'd use a 2.5" screw for 1.5" face frames. If you don't have one, I'd highly recommend a Bessey cabinet face frame clamp. It holds the face frames tight to each other and flush at the front. There are guide holes for drilling the pilot holes for the screws while the clamp is in place.

They really speed up installation. Two of them is ideal but you can manage with one.

Blog Entries
    I would get an assortment of screws and see what works best.

i like to use the GRK washer head cabinet screws. i use a small forstner bit to drill a little recess, pre drill the hole on the center point, and drive the screw. i cant imagine how this would ever split. you can see them on the edges with a door open, but it does not bother me, and i know ill never have a trim head split a face.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    If you are talking about joining the cabinets together at the face frames, then trim head screws work fine; that's what I use. I'd use a 2.5" screw for 1.5" face frames. If you don't have one, I'd highly recommend a Bessey cabinet face frame clamp. It holds the face frames tight to each other and flush at the front. There are guide holes for drilling the pilot holes for the screws while the clamp is in place.

They really speed up installation. Two of them is ideal but you can manage with one.
    Ha, I sent my wife the link for those clamps about 10 minutes ago. Said I need them for xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    We had Kraft Maid cabinets installed last year and HD had Kraft Maid replace each defective door etc with out even making me bring it to the store for proof of defect.
    The place we ordered them from was ready to order a whole new cabinet but I couldn't see scrapping the whole thing. I was able to fix it and you can barely tell. It will be mostly hidden under the counter top anyways unless you get down on your hands and knees to look at it.

Blog Entries
    When I installed our Kraft Maid cabinets, I used flat head screws to join the face frames together. I drilled pilot holes with a countersink so the heads were flush. I hid most of the heads behind the hinge mounting plates. I used pocket hole screws (no pockets) from the corner cabinets into the stiles of the adjoining straight cabinet. Kraft Maid furnished screws for attaching the cabinets to the studs in the walls.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute