Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a plug in 5" ROS

Recommend me a plug in 5" ROS

I currently have 2 ROS's, the 5" 18V cordless Rigid along with the 6" big heavy Rigid. The 18V was my first sander and I bought it as I had the rest of the Rigid cordless tools. It's great for rando jobs or quick sands, but sucks for middle length sands as it's heavy (with the battery) and pretty awkward to hold. The 6" is great for big sanding jobs (like a cabinet) but it's not great for that middle length sanding job.

So, any recommendations for something for that middle length sanding job, where I'll be holding the sander for a while, but don't want to break out the giant 6" sander? Needs to be easy to hold and use, light, be able to hook up to dust collection and can't be $500 like the Mirka that all the YouTubers use.

Perhaps the Festool ETS 125? It says it requires 9 hole sanding pads, but I have a WHOLE BUNCH of 5" 8 hole pads already. Will it totally not work with those?

Or am I overthinking this, and I should just buy the $30 Skil sander off Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/SKIL-Random-O...p/B07FKBDNNQ)?
    Last edited by Tom Hoppe; 11-26-2019 at 2:31 PM.

If my trusty American made PC 333 ever dies I'll buy a Bosch.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Hmm, that one happens to be on special for $50 on Amazon with great reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BD5G9VA

Tom, I have the Bosch that you linked to, and it is good for $49. I think there is a better Bosch that is more expensive, and maybe that is what Bill has in mind. You might be happy with the $49 Bosch, but don't expect to love it the way people love their Festool sanders. (Which is what is on my list when my Bosch dies.)

I have the ETS125 and love it. I believe the only sandpaper that will work with Festool sanders is Festool sandpaper. Granat is the best (I think) for prepping wood.

There is a little bit of a learning curve with the ETS 125 in that you must make sure it is "balanced" when in use. The dust collection hose tends to drag it down in back a little. Also, while you certainly can use any vac with Festool sanders, this one seems to be particularly sensitive to too much suction. Since Festool vac suction can be turned down, they are particularly suited to their sanders (and, I believe, this one in particular). The connections to vacs might need adapters if you don't have a Festool vac. Festool vacs are HEPA and quiet, which are also plusses. I used mine with my Fein and a HEPA filter when I first got it. It worked OK.

Also, the ETS150 is a great sander; either the /3 or /5. It's like a 6" but is more stable and does a terrific job (for me anyway). The same things do apply to that sander - Festool paper, vac settings, etc.
    Last edited by Randy Heinemann; 11-26-2019 at 5:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    I believe the only sandpaper that will work with Festool sanders is Festool sandpaper. .
    That's not true. There are multiple non-Festool sources for abrasives for the Festool sanders with the appropriate hole patterns.

-----
    OP, you can use your existing 8-hole abrasives to "use them up" with reduced dust collection performance if you carefully try to get as many of the holes to have some level of exposure. Ideally, you'll punch that "hole in the middle" because that's actually one of the reasons for the elevated level of collection in the Festool system. But you will absolutely get better results with 9 hole abrasives long term. Festool abrasives are pretty good quality wise and most of the time I've been able to take advantages of sales or "closeouts" (when they make a minor change to the formula, etc) to keep my cost down. I also buy the boxes of 50...bigger nut up front, but less cost over time. Abrasives are disposables and are part of the cost of using the tool. I have not tried other brands personally, but as I responded to Randy's comment, there are multiple sources of alternatives.

One of the things I really appreciate about the Festool sanders is the huge reduction in vibration they have given me over the PC333s I used previous to buying my 150/3 and Rotex over ten years ago. The "better" Bosch tools get good ratings on this. I cannot emphasize how important this can be when you are sanding for a long time. My hands used to go numb. That's not been an issue since I made the change.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I purchased a Surfprep 5" random orbital palm sander SPES5 3/16 orbit. It is easy to hold and use, light, can be hooked up to dust collection; but, it is close to the $500 like the Mirka.

Blog Entries
    I really like my Dewalt 5" ROS, does a pretty good job of dust collection with just the supplied filter.
    NOW you tell me...

I have the Bosch that the OP linked to, definitely wouldn't recommend. It is sorely under powered unless sanding little tiny pieces with fine sandpaper. Dad has this one
    https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/bos...5vc-5-29852-p/
    and it is fantastic for the price, lots of power but still nimble enough to use one hand to soften edges. The problem with the smaller one is that it has problems "pulling" 80-100 grit paper. I will be upgrading to either the Bosch ROS65VC-5 that I linked to or the ETS125 preferably sooner than later. The time wasted using an under powered sander makes the upgrade very justifiable.

If you do a lot of sanding, the ETS125 is an excellent choice IMO. When coupled to the dust extractor the collection is nothing short of amazing.

Standard pads will not work but you can always use them for hand sanding. I get Festool compatible discs from Industrial Abrasives.

Ok sweet, so lots of positives for the ETS125.

I did realize that I can use my 8 hole 5" sanding pads for when I use the 18V Rigid.

So in the end, this is like a $300 buy, $200 for the ETS125 (ha! found it on Amazon Warehouse open box for $175), then $35 each for 50 80, 150, and 220 grits and an adapter for my 2" Rigid vacuum hose. That's not bad.

I went ahead and bought that $50 Bosch and the ETS125 on Amazon. I'll compare the two, and if the ETS125 really is better, I'll keep that one

Thanks for all the help/opinions
    Last edited by Tom Hoppe; 11-27-2019 at 2:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    If I was a young man I would get a good compressor and start using air sanders. Lot better than electric...

Do the mesh abrasives work with ETS125?
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

I have two of the aforementioned Bosch for a few years now. No complaints. I like that the replacement pads are readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    Do the mesh abrasives work with ETS125?
    Yes! Have used both Mirka Abranet disks and the new DeWalt mesh disks. Predictably, the Abranet performance is superior. Be sure to use an interface pad between the sander and the disk.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.