Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do I use to clean black pipe?

What do I use to clean black pipe?

I’ve never cleaned them and this time I want to after seeing some black spots on my projects. I’m not good online so please help me here. What stuff do I clean these with? Thanks, everyone
    Two T's Woodshop

Personally, I'd use naphtha or alcohol.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not sure what the best way to clean the pipe, I just use painters tape on all my clamps where the pipe or bar contacts the workpiece to prevent staining.

It’s a messy process but mineral spirits has worked for me in the past.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Black spots on your project is likely a chemical reaction between the steel pipe, tannic acid in the wood, and moisture from the glue. If it really is oil, I prefer Simple Green.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Black spots on your project is likely a chemical reaction between the steel pipe, tannic acid in the wood, and moisture from the glue. If it really is oil, I prefer Simple Green.
    That's why I use the painters tape, cleaning the pipe won't solve the problem, sealing the pipe with a coating might help which the tape does. I think part of the chemical reaction is with the glue so sometimes I just cover the areas near the glue joints.

Tape works to keep dirt, oil, or simply the iron surface away from you work, but it needs to be reapplied each time you change the clamping length. If you slice PVC pipe into 1" long cylinders, then put a kerf in each on the bandsaw, these can easily be popped onto the pipe. They can easily slide along the pipe to hold work away from the pipe surface as you clamp. While they can be installed or removed in seconds, I simply leave them in place on my pipe clamps, sliding them into position for use.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post
    Tape works to keep dirt, oil, or simply the iron surface away from you work, but it needs to be reapplied each time you change the clamping length. If you slice PVC pipe into 1" long cylinders, then put a kerf in each on the bandsaw, these can easily be popped onto the pipe. They can easily slide along the pipe to hold work away from the pipe surface as you clamp. While they can be installed or removed in seconds, I simply leave them in place on my pipe clamps, sliding them into position for use.
    Sounds like a great idea, time to check my scrap pvc pipe stash (I never throw anything away just for this reason).

I haven't let pipe touch wood for decades, but I'm centering the contact point of the wood on the center of the tightening screw. Best way to keep from bowing the glue up by centering the forces on the center of the wood. The pvc may not be thick enough to do that, but would certainly keep the pipe out of the glue.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Sounds like a great idea, time to check my scrap pvc pipe stash (I never throw anything away just for this reason).

2nd that. Great, simple idea. I'll be digging thru the plumbing section of my basement tonight.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Some methods for cleaning are also discussed in this thread from July. LINK
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I was going to say the same thing except for the simple green part.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks again for the info. I will try a few of these and see what works for me. Thanks everyone, Terry
    Two T's Woodshop

Terry, even with my parallel clamps, I put a little clear packing tape on the clamp rail to keep glue from sticking and with pipe clamps, you'd get the same benefit plus protection from any marking like you describe.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm going to try some refrigerator magnets.