Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bondo

At the tropical fish store I worked at in college, this contractor built large plywood sumps to house the filtration equipment. Used a TON of Bondo to fill in the voids and to smooth out the fillets before laying up the fiberglass. Held up great from what I can remember.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

When you say "Bondo", which animal are you actually talking about? There seems to be a plethora of different kinds and mixes. I'm not real familiar with the products.

Bondo is a brand name that gets used like xerox. I have used a few brands bought at auto supply stores. Those all seemed pretty similar. Open time is about 3 minutes so don't mix up a lot.

Is glazing putty as durable?

Consider that glazing putty has No durability, by comparison.

edited to add: When I first thought "glazing putty", I was thinking of glazing putty for windows. If you meant the auto body work glazing putty, it does have good durability, but it's not engineered for thick applications. It's just for filling in small scratches, and imperfections in body filler.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 12-05-2019 at 8:00 AM.

I recently used bondo on my front door. It used to have a mortise lock I did not want. So I removed it, cut a 5x4x1 inch piece of oak to fill the hole, glued it in with construction adhesive, and then used bondo on the thin areas on the surface of the door that needed to be filled in. The oak gives me strength in the door, the bondo is just for appearance. After painting, you cannot see the repaired areas. I also used it on a porch inner roof years ago and it held up fine under paint. I do not use it often but for painted work I think it is fine - for non-structural repairs.

Blog Entries
    And Bondo is also available with glass fibers for reinforcing, but it's horrible stuff to work with and is hard to apply in thin coats. The glazing, or spot putty will take a long time to dry & shrinks a lot if you try to apply in thick layers.

Blog Entries
    I had a couple of porch boards with a little rot so
    I called a guy to replace them .He said it wasn't worth replacing them and would just fill them with Bondo for $300😕, did it myself for about $10.
    Dennis

TO the OP -

Maybe use Bondo in that way, but with a thin veneer of something like Hard Maple on the inside surface?
    (Then carefully sand or rasp the whole thing to flat.)