Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Puffy-ness of modern vehicle bodies

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I wonder how you'd do something useful with that tesla, like pull a trailer....
    Weld the hitch to the bodywork.

BTW, I'm waiting for them to put headlights on the rear of it, so you don't know if it's coming or going. :^)

Steve, I doubt this is suitable for larger trailer setups like you show, especially due to weight, but it's probably just fine with both bumper pull and *small* gooseneck. I have not looked for specifications, but I'm guessing it's probably similar to the typical half-ton pick-em-up-truck relative to limits, but range may be sticky "loaded up".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If they can design an electric truck why does anyone doubt they can design a trailer hitch? Specs say 14,000 lb towing capacity.

Then there is the issue of parking the big puffy truck at the box store which isn't truck friendly anyway. I think I get a new dent on my truck bumper every time I get lumber.

I don't think that dents are going to be easy to put in THAT particular truck...it's not thin sheet metal.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    If they can design an electric truck why does anyone doubt they can design a trailer hitch? Specs say 14,000 lb towing capacity.
    They will be talking about torque. Again, it's an exoskeleton.

These things will rock with torque.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Steve, I doubt this is suitable for larger trailer setups like you show, especially due to weight, but it's probably just fine with both bumper pull and *small* gooseneck. I have not looked for specifications, but I'm guessing it's probably similar to the typical half-ton pick-em-up-truck relative to limits, but range may be sticky "loaded up".
    Jim, that body shape isn't compatible with any gooseneck or 5th wheel trailer. Side panels would interfere with turning. If they intend it to be a crossover, like the old Chevy Avalanche, then so be it. They are useless as a truck though, and the sales supported that uselessness. I don't know the weight of it, it looks heavy though, so the GVW while pulling a trailer would possibly be an issue with the DOT, as would battery life. Bottom line, it's not going to play where pickups actually earn a living because it isn't a pickup, it'll be too expensive, it won't have enough capacity for hauling or range, and it looks stupid (that last one is my own opinion . They did get a bunch of free press though, cheapest name recognition marketing campaign ever!

I would expect the battery alone to weigh over one ton. The big car battery weighs roughly 2000 pounds so the truck battery will weigh that much and more.

Jim, that body shape isn't compatible with any gooseneck or 5th wheel trailer. Side panels would interfere with turning. If they intend it to be a crossover, like the old Chevy Avalanche, then so be it. They are useless as a truck though, and the sales supported that uselessness. I don't know the weight of it, it looks heavy though, so the GVW while pulling a trailer would possibly be an issue with the DOT, as would battery life. Bottom line, it's not going to play where pickups actually earn a living because it isn't a pickup, it'll be too expensive, it won't have enough capacity for hauling or range, and it looks stupid (that last one is my own opinion . They did get a bunch of free press though, cheapest name recognition marketing campaign ever!
    Steve, there have been folks in the equestrian community having trouble with a GN on some current trucks where the sides of the beds were made taller in the design and the trailer GN could go high enough to clear them. (usually older trailers) . But that said, I don't think that Tesla is intending "this" truck to be a "work truck" or for heavy trailering. It will likely meet the needs of the majority of folks who want a pick-em-up-truck to cruise the highways and malls and pick up stuff at the home center once in awhile. That's how most pickups get used in the same way that most "Very capable" 4x4 SUVs never see off-road conditions beyond a dirt road or a muddy parking lot.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Steve, there have been folks in the equestrian community having trouble with a GN on some current trucks where the sides of the beds were made taller in the design and the trailer GN could go high enough to clear them. (usually older trailers) . But that said, I don't think that Tesla is intending "this" truck to be a "work truck" or for heavy trailering. It will likely meet the needs of the majority of folks who want a pick-em-up-truck to cruise the highways and malls and pick up stuff at the home center once in awhile. That's how most pickups get used in the same way that most "Very capable" 4x4 SUVs never see off-road conditions beyond a dirt road or a muddy parking lot.
    Very true! I think the tesla should be called a crossover, not a truck.

BTW, I saw the tug of war with the F150, would like to see that vs a "real pickup" like my beat up old duramax work truck, lol. I don't think the tesla would stand a chance.

Yes, that's right! Its more like an El Camino.

BTW, I saw the tug of war with the F150, would like to see that vs a "real pickup" like my beat up old duramax work truck, lol. I don't think the tesla would stand a chance.
    I saw an article that poo pooed the contest. The Telsa because it's heavy already had the advantage. The Telsa started the pull first which gave it the advantage. The pickup truck was in two wheel drive with an empty bed which gave it a distinct disadvantage grip wise and they said the tires on the gas truck weren't exactly fresh while the Telsa had brand new tires.

I don't know if the Telsa was a 4wd or AWD but if it was then putting the gas truck in 2wd was just dishonest. Grip of tires and weight have the biggest factor in a tug of war, engine size next. Since the truck was not new it's probably not one of the newer ECO turbo trucks either. If you are comparing high tech electric to old fashion gas the least you could do is use a newer model truck with equivalent HP ratings.

It's still a truck...just as vehicle like the Ranger and Colorado are trucks.

Here's an interesting opinion article that caught my eye...I kinda agree with it.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/29/persp...usk/index.html
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-29-2019 at 12:08 PM.
    --

Reminds me of another truck. Is it the Honda ridgeline with the big sail panels.
    Bil lD