Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Duct fittings question

Blog Entries
    It's for dust collection so no need for glue.

Blog Entries
    I just called Charlottepipe and they told me that abs dwv (sewer and drain) is schedual 40 and will not fit PVC sewer and drain.

If PVC and ABS are schedule 40, then yes they can share the same components. I also agree with Bill, that there is no reason to glue the pipe. De-burr the ends and get good make-in and take a swipe of silicone on the face of the joint to inhibit any air flow into the system. That way, should needs change the components can be re-used. Proper hangers are essential.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    I just called Charlottepipe and they told me that abs dwv (sewer and drain) is schedual 40 and will not fit PVC sewer and drain.
    Bill, DWV(Drain, Waste, Vent) is not the same as S&D (Sewer and Drain). They are different sizes. 6" DWV, whether ABS or PVC is 6.625"OD. 6" S&D is 6.275"OD.

Schedule(xx) is DWV size. ASTM2729 and SDR(xx) are S&D size.
    Last edited by David L Morse; 12-05-2019 at 12:36 PM. Reason: SDR size was wrong
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Blog Entries
    It would be enormously expensive to do the ductwork using sched. 40 PVC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    It would be enormously expensive to do the ductwork using sched. 40 PVC.
    That's probably the reason you don't see your sanitary tee used in dust collection systems. I don't think it's available in S&D, at least I've never seen it.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

For the size of your shop and the size of your dust collector I really think you're over cooking this. Just use SDR35 or ASTM 2729 with the available fittings and you'll be just fine.

Googled and found "Weld On 794"