Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another box

Another box

Been working through my list of boxes for nieces and nephews. In the midst of that, I also made a couple for my two sisters. For them, I wanted to see what an all maple box could be. The main box and inside tray are curly maple, the top is quilted maple, and the wider banding/inlay is birds eye maple (with walnut trim). I added some subtle maple stringing as well. Interior is shellac, exterior is ArmRSeal gloss, rubbed out with auto polish. I wish the photos did it justice...the chatoyance is really nice.

7040A8CA-1623-4664-8994-7066BA424054.jpg 03D7D2C8-B989-4ACF-B795-89F4A3BA7999.jpg E4BA00C2-99A9-4D58-9AF6-795CCAE68800.jpg

Dang...that figure is something else!!! (the box is great too. LOL)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That’s a beauty Phil. Really like it.
    Aj

Gorgeous!! I like the "all maple" look......it's eye pleasing!

Very nice...love the figured maple.
    Chris

Show off! As always, beautiful work.

Beautiful work. Congratulations. Great selection of wood.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Phil, that box is sparkling ! Did you cut your own walnut stringing or buy it? I have found it easier to buy.

The wood is so satin-like. It reminds you of the cushy treatments often seen inside. Merely opening it will always be a
    a treat.

Beautiful! I like the ArmRSeal finish here because it didn't appear to add a yellow hue to the amazing maples you used.

Thanks all. I’ve made a good number of boxes for gifts, but I have to admit these were ones that I was both really happy to send off, and really sad to send off!

Mark, I do buy my stringing and banding. The walnut you see is actually the border of the birds eye maple banding. I’ve purchased from several sources, but my go to is inlaybanding dot com.

That is amazing! Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Thanks all. I’ve made a good number of boxes for gifts, but I have to admit these were ones that I was both really happy to send off, and really sad to send off!

Mark, I do buy my stringing and banding. The walnut you see is actually the border of the birds eye maple banding. I’ve purchased from several sources, but my go to is inlaybanding dot com.
    A problem with making your own stringing is to have it equal width for the full length. What I started doing is using one of those hand crank pasta machines. Instead of putting in dough, I put in a piece of veneer and crank it through. Makes nice stringing. One limitation is that I can only get the width that the machine provides for spaghetti. It'd be nice if they offered some cutters for different widths of spaghetti.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

That’s a cool idea, Mike. I’ve thought about making my own and use that thicknesser that LN sells (Latta design), but not sure I want to get into it.
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 11-27-2019 at 4:07 PM.

Kitchen Aid has a mixer attachment that cuts multiple widths of pasta. At $170, it is a bit steep. May need to share with the cook to justify the cost.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!