Thread: Any CNC workshops?

Any CNC workshops?

Do any woodworking stores,’Woodcraft, etc., hold demos on CNC machines? I live in Central PA.

I think the Rocklers near me does. I woulkd imagine that Woodcraft does also. What are you looking for? To see a particular brand run or just a CNC in general? I'd ask around for someone who has a machine at their home near you that wouldn't mind showing you the machine. Also check with your city. I recently found out that my city offers a small CNC router, a 3d printer and other machines at the library for us to play with. Why they chose the library I do not know.

Hi Ed,
    I believe that our local Woodcraft store offers some classes that do include the cnc wood router. Perhaps you have a Woodcraft store near you that also has these classes.
    David

https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entries/computer-generated-woodworking

Woodcraft Classes.jpg

Ed, in addition to any seminars you can find and attend, many owners of certain quality brands of CNC machines are often prone to setup a shop visit with you to answer questions and even do a little demonstration. I know that's true in the Camaster community that I'm part of and suspect it's true with a number of other brand's of machines. You might also check with universities, community colleges, tech schools with local school districts, etc., for references and possibly seminars or the ability to sit in on other events.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My local Woodcraft, Franklin, TN, has two CNC classes that I'm aware of. One is an introduction, all about the machines and the basics of how to use them and some software overview. I'm attending this one in a couple of weeks.

Not 100% sure what level the other class goes into, I'm sure I'll find out in the intro class.
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 11-24-2019 at 11:12 PM.

Jim, what model do you have? I am strictly a hobbiest but understand the concept of buying the second tool first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gibbons View Post
    Jim, what model do you have? I am strictly a hobbiest but understand the concept of buying the second tool first.
    Stinger II SR-44. (4'x4' cutting area) There are a number Stinger I (2'x4' or 2'x3') owners in the state; some closer to you than I am, but you are certainly welcome to make a field trip here to see mine at some mutually convenient time.
    --

Thanks Jim. I may do that. I’ll send you a pm if I have the opportunity. Thanks again.

I don't mind helping at all, Ed. I kinda think that if more folks visited other folks who already have CNC machines, the former would make better initial decisions around a purchase that either prevents "premature replacement" or (sadly) abandonment.
    --

Ed,

You might stop in to the Shopbot forum. There are more Shopbot owners than any other CNC manufacturer, and they pride themselves on hooking up perspective customers with a current owner. You can visit the forum here:

.talkshopbot. com/

Additionally, Shopbot offers twice monthly "boot" camp at their NC facility for $300 which covers the basics. I think they give you a $300 credit if you end up buying a machine. I own a desktop and it does fantastic work.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-27-2019 at 1:07 PM. Reason: Removed direct link to another forum - prohibited by TOS