Thread: Ray Iles Cutter For Stanley 10 1/2

Ray Iles Cutter For Stanley 10 1/2

The new Ray Iles iron for the Stanley 10 1/2 was in Saturday's mail. It is a nice looking cutter, ~3mm thick. the OEM is ~2mm thick so while thicker it is not what you would call thick like most new irons.

stanley10halfCutter.jpg

IIRC, Ray Iles still makes his chisels and plane irons the old fashion way where they harden the iron first and then grind the bevel. I'll be reminded soon, once I start to flatten the back.

Ken, is that the D2 metal? Either way, I’d appreciate an update when you get a chance. I like my RI chisels, and the replacement irons look like a nice option.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Ken, is that the D2 metal? Either way, I’d appreciate an update when you get a chance. I like my RI chisels, and the replacement irons look like a nice option.
    Phil,

The TFWW site lists the #10 cutter with the O1 replacement irons. It is about 1mm thicker than the OEM. My mouth is tight and may need to be filed, still working on fitting the iron I do not want to file the mouth is I can help it. The iron sharpens easily with very little work on the back but it also feels very hard on the stones. More as I know more. BTW the price is right at under $40 USD + shipping from TFWW.

ken

I’ve had that thickness challenge with other replacement blades....and I was able to get away with it without filing the mouth. I’m betting you will like that iron.