Thread: Help identifying these 4 tools??

Help identifying these 4 tools??

Picked up along with a bigger lot of old tools.. Can't identify these 4 2019-11-22 20.34.09.jpg2019-11-22 20.34.27.jpg2019-11-22 20.35.05.jpg2019-11-22 20.35.41.jpg....Help, please..Thanks
    Jerry

The two complicated looking, H shaped ones are saw setting gauges for large, one, and two man logging hand saws. Not sure about the others, but one looks like a tapering tool for a brace.

I think the smallest one may be a rivet setter. I have a new one that looks a lot like that, for setting copper rivets like in blue jeans.

Best guess: The apex clamp vise...just what it says. The big part is screwed down to a surface, the small part slides inside it with the hook towards the narrow end. A board set on edge pushes against the hooked part and pushes it along to wedge the board in place.

Blog Entries
    The tool for the brace looks like a rudimentary hollow auger.

It also looks to be for only one size unless it is missing a lot of parts.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The Pexto is a rivet setting tool.

Jerry,
    As Jim said, a hollow auger missing a lot of parts. It was patented by George Stearns Sept' 8 1869 (US 39841) and came with a series of "thimbles" to vary the size of the tenon it would cut. In a later patent (US234693) updating this tool Mr Stearns refers to the thimbles as ferrules. My two photos, the first is earlier, with seven thimbles from 3/8" to 7/8 and the drive tang doubles as a depth gauge. The second photo is, I think, the same as yours and the thimbles are interchangeable between the two models. I assume that to cut a one inch tenon you dispense with the thimble.
    Cheers,
    Geoff.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Geoff, Thanks for the information on this.

Is the blade on Jerry's the same as yours?

Interesting history on the Stearns company:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._C._Stearns_%26_Company

One of my finds at a hardware store closing sale was a spoke pointer branded G.N. Stearns.

G.N. Stearns Spoke Pointer.jpg

They help when using a hollow auger.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, blade is the same to the extent of having two holes, one screw but Jerrys is upside down.
    I like the branding on your spoke pointer, so many are unmarked.
    Cheers,
    Geoff.
    Attached Images Attached Images