Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New table saw ?

Thomas, I think that the theme is that a track saw can compliment a table saw, especially a smaller table saw. But I have an 8'6" sliding table saw and still pull out my track saw for certain things because of both easy of use and because sometimes, it's not something I can physically do on my table saw. So...more than one "trick" for sure...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

To my knowledge, a track saw is only used for cutting down sheet goods, which is what I meant by a one trick pony. A small portable table saw can do much more tasks, perhaps it cannot be made to cut down large sheet goods as well as a track saw, but is far more useful than a track saw. If the OP wants to get a track saw as well as a table saw, then obviously the purchase would enhance cutting down sheet goods.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    To my knowledge, a track saw is only used for cutting down sheet goods, which is what I meant by a one trick pony. .
    Umm...well...I use mine for a whole lot of things and most of them actually are not cutting down sheet goods, although that's clearly the low-hanging fruit. I've cut down fully assembled furniture, dealt with sizing wide pine flooring during installation, straightened out miss-aligned cabinet assemblies, cross cut narrow dados in solid stock (sometimes at angles), cut down natural edge slabs to workable length, finish cross cut large glued assemblies like kitchen islands, used it in lieu of a miter saw for cross cutting material that's too wide for my CMS, etc. I've done those things a lot more than cut sheet goods with my Festool track saw, honestly. It's a whole team of horses.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...