Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New table saw ?

Blog Entries

New table saw ?

I have a very small shop, so a full-sized table saw is out.
    Right now I just have a small Delta 10".
    I need a new saw and my question is whether or not I would be happy with one of the portable saws available.
    I've read some reviews and know a little bit about what's out there.
    But what do you have, if it's this size machine, and are you pleased with what can be done with it.
    What limitations are a major inconvenience over a full-size saw?
    Any opinions at all appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Oh, and I forgot to mention that my orbital sander burned up, so I would also appreciate suggestions on what unit to buy.
    It was just a $30 Milwaukee, had slow startup and worked pretty hard, but I simply wore it out with very heavy use.

I also have a very small shop and have a Delta dw745 jobsite portable saw. It has enough power and accuracy for my needs but it still takes up too much room.Due to back problems and space issues all my projects are small so I've replaced it with one of these, a Proxxon fet micro saw. It has a tilting arbor and will cut up to 3/4 in thick, what it won't cut the bandsaw and planer will take care of. I really like the fact that it stores on a shelf and is light enough (12 lbs) to move around as I need.

27070.png

A cabinet saw can have a smaller footprint than a contractor saw which has the motor hanging out the back.

and

I slid the SS Grizzly to the right till it hit the wall and docked it there. Use it every day and never need to move it. No need to have an aircraft carrier in the center of the shop. You can saw off the rails just past the table.

Portable saws are loud and have smaller tables - especially in front of the blade. Have you considered a track saw? Combined with a flat, sacrificial cutting surface (check out the LV cutting grid). It all folds up and stores in the corner somewhere. Accuracy is on a par with a table saw and then they are much safer.

I see a lot of old Rockwell, Delta, Craftsman table saws on Craigslist for cheap(I think they were all actually made by Delta?). Have also read that a lot of these machines are really good. I think most of them are considered to be 8" table saws, or with an 8" blade.
    I have been considering getting one of these next time I see a decent machine pop-up on there for $100 or less.

Blog Entries
    Curt, you've sparked an interest in me for track saws.
    Those who own and use one, I would appreciate suggestions as to what brand and models you can recommend, including what you recommend, Curt.

I have and use both - my Makita tack saw and a Dewalt DWE7491RS table saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Curt, you've sparked an interest in me for track saws.
    Those who own and use one, I would appreciate suggestions as to what brand and models you can recommend, including what you recommend, Curt.
    So many threads here for you to explore on that topic....Festool, Makita, Dewalt, etc. I use Festool, but also have a short Makita rail which is compatible.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

10. Or for space & simplicity's sake just buy a straightedge/clamp to cut with a "regular" hand held saw, I always have a table saw to use but do that sometimes working alone it makes now and then cuts on large panels easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    Portable saws are loud and have smaller tables - especially in front of the blade.
    This!!
    The most limiting part of Jobsite saws is the short distance in front of the blade. I only have room for a fold up saw, so have a Sawstop Jobsite and was very disappointed with the limitations imposed by the table, particularly fore using sleds and mitre gauges. I made an auxiliary table extension that can be quickly mounted to provide better infeed and outfeed.

Blog Entries
    Is the Kreg track saw system a good choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Is the Kreg track saw system a good choice?
    It's relatively new to the market, I believe, but Kreg generally has quality products. Just remember that when you get involved in a "track" type system, the word "system" is important since you may opt to use it for other things beyond the circular saw. I don't recall if anyone has posted a gloat thread on the Kreg version or not, but I might have missed it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

FWW did a comparison article on track saws a few issues ago. I've had the Festool 55 and the extractor for a long time and like it a lot. I've cut a lot of oak/maple up to its capacity with no problems. Yes, I think you could duplicate performance with a regular saw and straight edge, but it will be fiddly and time consuming. I have two of the 54" and one 36" track and I have a lot of confidence in it. I very rarely throw a full sheet at the table saw. Safer and easier to break it down with the track. I can't comment on the others, but the Festool has been great in my experience.

I'll be contrary here, and say that you do not need a track saw to replace a table saw. Track saws are one-trick ponies, and will in no way replace a table saw's functions of miters, cross cuts, dadoes, and rips of most lumber. I asked your same question and the consensus here was a DeWalt, and Dick Mahany had a nice rig with some infeed and outfeed tables which were shop made.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?277561-Portable-Table-Saws-Advice-for-Brands&highlight=

Regards,

Tom