Thread: Veritas shooting board review?

Veritas shooting board review?

I have a Lee Valley gift card burning a hole in my pocket. I've become curious about the Lee Valley shooting board. I have not been able to find any online reviews from folks who have used this product. If you are familiar with the Veritas shooting board I'd like to know what you think of it. I'm hoping Derek Cohen responds! Thanks.

Blog Entries
    James,

The only thread that popped up in a search on this was > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?267335 <.

Looking at this it seems if one is so inclined it might be more economical to purchase the Shooting Board Fence for almost $100 less and make their own board. This would allow one to make an ambidextrous board instead of having two boards if they wanted to shoot from both sides of the fence.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?244777

For me an old shoulder injury makes shooting on the left side more comfortable. For some miter work it helps to work from both sides.

If you have a lot of use for a good shooting board at various angles, then it may actually be economical to purchase one or both of the Veritas boards.

Otherwise it may be a more economical use of your time and money to build your own shooting board or boards as needed with the Veritas fence or a fence of your own design.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by James Spillman View Post
    I have a Lee Valley gift card burning a hole in my pocket. I've become curious about the Lee Valley shooting board. I have not been able to find any online reviews from folks who have used this product. If you are familiar with the Veritas shooting board I'd like to know what you think of it. I'm hoping Derek Cohen responds! Thanks.
    James, I have not handled the LV shooting board parts, nor even seen the shooting board in the flesh. I am confident, however, based on my experience with LV tools, that the shooting board would be a quality tool. I do have some observations that may help with a possible purchase.

Clearly you wish to spend some money and the shooting board catches your eye. The questions I have for you is what type of shooting you plan to do, and whether you have a plane for shooting? The reason is that this shooting board is set up for all but picture frames and other complementary angles. It should excel with drawer sides, especially if using a skewed shooting plane, such as the Veritas shooting plane or the LN #51.

The design is curious. As sold, it is set up as per the Stanley #52 chuting board ...

The Stanley ..

Yet the LV shooting board appears to be based on the Rogers (Millers Falls) ...

... which you can see was designed with a double-ended shooting plane. A clearer version of this design is here ...

As you can see here, the shooting plane can be used on either side.

If you are planning to do picture frames, then I'd purchase the components and build your own. If not, and you want a standard shooting board, then the LV is probably the best buy on the market at present (far cheaper than a Stanley #52, which is only available on the vintage market). The only other shooting plane I know of is by Tico Voigt, which is a ramped board.

An important component of this shooting board is the track, which constrains the plane. This is essential if you plan to use a shooting plane with a rear handle, such as a #51-type. Without the side fence the plane will be difficult to control.

I own the Stanley #52 and swear by it. However, I am aware of the limitations of this design, which is the basis of my comments above. I have other shooting boards that fill the gaps. I think that it is potentially possible to build a shooting board with the LV components that will do all.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 11-23-2019 at 9:51 PM.

Thank you Jim and Derek for replying. I agree the most important decision is what I use the shooting board for. The projects I do now are smaller than in the past. Frames, boxes, and tool chests are the items I mostly make. I also own a Veritas low angle jack plane which Derek, in a past review, said should work well with a shooting board. In the future I plan to make a ramped shooting board. For now I think the way to go is to purchase the Lee Valley complete unit.

I don’t know why any woodworker would buy and not make a simple shooting board. At least try making one and see how it works first before buying. It’s neither difficult nor time consuming.

I bought one to square off the ends of boards. Having sold my table saw, miter saw, and jointer, I needed a way to square those hand cut ends. I will probably make a longer one to handle the edge grain of aprons and such. Easier than balancing a #8 on the edges and checking for square every few strokes. I have not yet used the Veritas board for anything more than a test cut. It is a quality piece of work.

Quote Originally Posted by James Spillman View Post
    Thank you Jim and Derek for replying. I agree the most important decision is what I use the shooting board for. The projects I do now are smaller than in the past. Frames, boxes, and tool chests are the items I mostly make. I also own a Veritas low angle jack plane which Derek, in a past review, said should work well with a shooting board. In the future I plan to make a ramped shooting board. For now I think the way to go is to purchase the Lee Valley complete unit.
    I know I saw somewhere, I just don't know where, that the Veritas Low Angle Jack doesn't fit in the track so isn't compatible with the shooting board. Only their shooting plane and shooting sanders will fit.

James,
    Do you own the Veritas shooting plane? IMHO, a better investment is to put that money into buying the plane and then build your own shooting board.

I own that plane and it's IMHO a great luxury to shoot with it. It has more mass and better ergonomics than a low angle jack. It is also nice to have a purpose built plane set up to shoot.

I also eventually bought the track, which, once waxed, is also worth it.

I considered purchasing the angled fence, but once I built a donkey, a 45 degree block, and a square fence, I realized I had no practical need for it. So, ask yourself how often you plan to use that - and more critically, want to deal with the set up. Having fixed fences that I can trust without having to calibrate them is convenient for me.

Blog Entries

10. I got a chance to play with one at a Lee Valley store a few weeks ago. The machining is excellent and the adjustments are smooth. I tried it with the shooting board plane, which fits perfectly and works beautifully. I am not sure how beneficial it would be without the shooting board plane. It is definitely a piece of kit, but to me it seems like a needless complication of an apparatus easily made in the shop. If I ever purchase the shooting board plane (which I will probably do eventually) I would consider it, but without their plane I will stick to my bevel-up jack plane and shop made shooting board.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

Otherwise it may be a more economical use of your time and money to build your own shooting board or boards as needed with the Veritas fence or a fence of your own design.

jtk
    I made one after seeing ends getting square on Jim's board.

Made it right side only, and with hinged fence. Cost was some scrap wood to make fence, some plywood, wax, bolt, and finish. Probably worth $25 in material and few hours work.

Works perfectly, to make ends square. It won't be much effort to move fence to middle (from top) if I need to cut angles.

I take anything made by LV is top quality (IMPO) and so will be the shooting board. Said that I would save my money and build one myself and use gift card to buy other tools. If you don't already have one look at; small plow, good protractor, router plane, chisels, block plane and so many mouth watering stuff LV has.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    James,
    Do you own the Veritas shooting plane? IMHO, a better investment is to put that money into buying the plane and then build your own shooting board.

I own that plane and it's IMHO a great luxury to shoot with it. It has more mass and better ergonomics than a low angle jack. It is also nice to have a purpose built plane set up to shoot.
    I couldnt agree more! I have the low angle jack. For me, it was uncomfortable to shoot with. So I made a hotdog handle. It was better.

But then I bought the LV Shooter ... I smile every single time I use that plane. What a joy to use.

(I may finally buy the track for Christmas, Prashun. )

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I got the LV Shooting plane last year and built a shooting board. I agree with Fred, it's a joy to use. I do like the protractor on the LV board though. I'll put the LV board on the "Don't need it, but if I have some spare fun money..." list.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.