Thread: Robland XSD 310

Robland XSD 310

I'm buying a Robland XSD 310 Jointer / Planer / Mortiser. Does anyone have any experience with this machine? Does anyone know where I can find spare parts? I also need to find a bit for the mortiser.

I have owned one for about 25 years (green paint model) and its a great machine, IMHO. Changing back and forth from jointer to planer is a bit of a pain (as it is with any combo machine) but I don't have room for independent machines. I bought a full set of mortising bits when I got the machine and I don't think I have ever used them. I am not sure where you would find spare parts as I have never needed to replace anything. I originally purchased from Laguna.

I use 2 or 3 flute center cutting end mills in the mortiser on my Minimax combo machine. They are availble in HSS and carbide in many sizes. The mortiser on my machine spins CW. If yours spins CCW you likely will need to use birdsmouth mortiseing bits, which cut in either direction. You can buy those from Laguna and other places.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I use 2 or 3 flute center cutting end mills in the mortiser on my Minimax combo machine. They are availble in HSS and carbide in many sizes. The mortiser on my machine spins CW. If yours spins CCW you likely will need to use birdsmouth mortiseing bits, which cut in either direction. You can buy those from Laguna and other places.

John
    Thanks guys - Fortunately, the machine I have has must be the european model, because I have a rotation direction selection switch! I'm amazed they put such a thing on a planer (I can hear the novice - My machine runs but it won't cut!). I bought some carbide center cut end mills. Can't wait to try them out!

You might want to join the Robland X31 group that was just moved to groups.io from Yahoo Groups. The new address is - https://groups.io/g/roblandx31. Everything was moved from the old group which includes great technical and practical information. There is also recent information on who is currently the USA support for Robland machines. Your machine is essentially an X31 minus the saw and shaper. Have fun with the new machine.

Good deal. That switch must be there precisely so you can run the cutterhead CW to use router bits/end mills in the mortiser. Very thoughtful, and definitely an opportunity to forget to change it back the other way when you run the J/P features. Anyway, my take on the J/P mortiser is it's a nice feature to have for doing deep mortises, but otherwise, my horiontal router mortiser, or even a handheld plunge router with an edge guide is much faster and easier to use for anything up to 1/2" wide by 2" deep. However, I would use the Minimax slot mortiser over a chisel mortiser w/o hesitation.

John

Hi John. -I own the same machine, which I bought used. The Robland group, referenced in another message is probably the best place to buy parts. The bits that came to me with this machine are left hand end mills. Those are available from places like Grainger. Good luck and enjoy the machine. -Howard

8. Hi,
    I joined to talk about the XSD, as I just picked one up in pretty sore shape. Wondering if anyone is going to respond or if this is a dead thread.
    Thanks
    Charlie

Yes, this thread is pretty much dead, but the X31 group is alive and kicking. https://groups.io/g/roblandx31
    The XSD machine is just about identical, and the source of spare parts is the same. Suggest you post on that forum with details on what you need help with - there are a million youtubes etc. on setup and adjustment.

10. thanks buddy!
    Will take a look. Project is taking shape. I now have intimate knowledge regarding these machines. haha